Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was fishing at the Oceanic pier in O.C. Hooked up with a big ray 2 days in a row. My old Penn 310 gti finaly gave up. I had the 310 gti on a 7' Penn conventional power stik 3/4 to 3 oz rod. Rod was great fighting the rays. So The shop at the pier had a Penn Squall sql400lphs reel and I bought it. I'll just use it for pier fishing, is this reel good for that. Also would the rod I have be OK ,or what new rod will work. We do see some good size fish at the pier. Open for suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I can’t picture fighting a ray with a low profile reel from a pier but this reel looks like it could handle it. However, it seems to me this reel would be more for inshore/near shore jigging. For your rod I would think a Penn Squall or Fathom 15 if there are good size fish around.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can’t picture fighting a ray with a low profile reel from a pier but this reel looks like it could handle it. However, it seems to me this reel would be more for inshore/near shore jigging. For your rod I would think a Penn Squall or Fathom 15 if there are good size fish around.
Thanks, I'm not after the rays, there just an unwanted by catch sometimes. We mostly catch blues from the pier. But the blue fishing has been pretty bad latly. I have a Fathom ii 15 I use on a heaver. I'll probably switch it to the conventional power stick. What would be a good rod for the low profile reel . I'm thinking of useing it for casting plugs and jigging from the pier as you suggested. Right now I use a 7' medium heavy Ugly stik spinning rod with a Penn 5000 fierce. I us eit also for small fish like spot and bottom fish with it useing fish bites. Thanks for you advise, I'm just getting back into pier fishing because of bad knees, it's easier on my knees than surf fishing.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a Daiwa 8' heavy jigging rod. It's a TD sol . seems nice. I cast the rod and reel before I left O.C. in the back yard. It's nice and smooth. I have to adjust the magnets on the reel more, but the rod feels good. I never had a Daiwa rod other that an old trolling rod from the 80's. It's a one piece rod.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I was fishing at the Oceanic pier in O.C. Hooked up with a big ray 2 days in a row. My old Penn 310 gti finaly gave up. I had the 310 gti on a 7' Penn conventional power stik 3/4 to 3 oz rod. Rod was great fighting the rays. So The shop at the pier had a Penn Squall sql400lphs reel and I bought it. I'll just use it for pier fishing, is this reel good for that. Also would the rod I have be OK ,or what new rod will work. We do see some good size fish at the pier. Open for suggestions. Thanks.
Where or what is O.C?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts