Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On June 11, North Carolina U.S. Sens. Elizabeth Dole and Richard Burr and U.S. Rep. Walter Jones introduced legislation into the Senate and the House of Representatives that would set aside an amendment to current resource management (consent decree) and require that the Park Service operate the seashore under its duly authorized resource management plan (interim plan). Upon reading the letter provided below, it should be obvious that the importance of these bills extends well beyond the current issue regarding Cape Hatteras. This is no longer simply the classic debate over protection of resources versus human use and development. This is a debate regarding who is in charge of managing resources, the government in compliance with congressional acts or environmental groups with one goal, maximizing resource protection without regard to the costs of their proposals. The courts have been supporting the latter.

At this point, the bills have been referred to the appropriate committees. This is where most bills die. If we want these bills to get to the floor, we need to give our representatives a reason to co-sponsor the bills. If you don’t do something now, this type of action on the part of the courts and environmental groups will likely impact you in the very near future.

Take a stand. Print these instructions and take the 30 minutes needed to send the emails. Better yet, if you want to have the biggest impact, fax the letters and follow up via phone. Please, at least write your Senators and House Representative—steps 1 through 11.

Don’t forget PASS THIS ONTO EVERYONE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK. THIS IS NOT JUST A CAPE HATTERAS ISSUE.

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Go to http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/
2. Type your zip code, you will get a list with 2 senators and 1 house representative
3. Click on the first senator in the list.
4. Fill out the form (use National Parks, Natural Resources, or Judiciary for the topic) and Senate Bill 3133 for the subject.
5. Copy the letter presented below to the message area.
6. Edit the letter filling in your information and deleting HR 6233.
7. Hit the back button until you get back to the list of representatives.
8. Click on the second senator and repeat steps 4 through 7.
9. Click on the house representative (3rd person in the list).
10. Fill out the form (use National Parks, Natural Resources, or Judiciary for the topic) and HR 6233 for the subject.
11. Copy and edit the letter filling in your information and deleting Senate Bill 3133.
12. Go to http://www.rahall.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=521&Itemid=162 .
13. Repeat steps 10 & 11, except there is no topic field.
14. Add the following: Please forward my request to the entire committee.
15. Go to http://judiciary.house.gov/contact.aspx .
16. Repeat steps 10 & 11, except there is no topic or subject field—type your own subject line.
17. Goto http://energy.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.Home .
18. Repeat steps 4 through 6, except there is no topic field.
LETTER

My name is (Your Name). I am a voting member of (Your state or district). I am writing to ask you to co-sponsor HR 6233/Senate Bill 3133. As described below, my request is based upon the opinion that environmental groups, with the assistance of the courts, are usurping governmental authority for resource management on federal lands. More often than not the management techniques that result ignore the cost benefit analysis required by NEPA and other Congressional Acts.

On April 30, the United States district court for the eastern district of North Carolina, northern division accepted a consent decree that resulted in the voluntary dismissal of a lawsuit brought by Defenders of Wildlife and Audubon against CHNSRA. The consent decree (signed under the threat that all public access would be denied) amended a duly authorized resource management plan (Interim Plan). The amendment eliminated ALL discretion on the part of NPS and has severely limited public access to park. As a result, the decree is not only having a severe economic impact on Dare County and NC, but also, has the effect of delegating managerial functions of NPS to the court and private environmental groups. This is an unconstitutional delegation of federal authority.

The impact of the decision to accept the consent degree is not limited to CHNSRA or NC. In fact, each time the courts overturn management decisions made by governmental units, the courts embolden environmental groups. For example, the following comment from the Center for Biological Diversity clearly shows the Center's total disregard for the government’s role in management of federal lands and their confidence in being able 1) to dictate to NPS and USFWS, and 2) to ignore Congressional Acts regarding appropriate rulemaking procedures.

"To remind the Service of the true definition of ‘essential habitat,’ in 2007 the Center filed a notice of intent to sue the agency over that decision (Piping Plover Habitat) and 54 others that have driven imperiled species across the country closer to extinction." (http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/species/birds/piping_plover/index.html)

Co-sponsoring the above-noted bill will send a clear message that management of federal lands is the sole discretion of the federal agency in charge and must be done in accordance with Congressional Acts. Anything less, is equivalent to abdicating governmental responsibility for federal land management, to ignoring Congressional Acts, and to encouraging massive expenditures of government funds on legal fees.

Please take a stand and co-sponsor this bill.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Call To Action/

The DOW has sent out an email alert to all their members (see below) to contact their Senators/Congressmen or women/Reps to oppose what we are trying to do, therefore it's imperative that EVERYONE, if possible send notices to everyone you know from all over the US, asking their Government Officials to co-sponsor our folks (Burr/Dole/Jones from NC) in support of HR6233/S3113 TODAY. Also send a CC fax or call to Senator Elizabeth Dole as she is the one who needs to go before Congress to introduce this bill. Emails don't really get looked at, mail takes too long...so go with the faxes preferably but phone calls will work. Help get the word out there & stop them in their tracks with all their lies. Don't let us loose by one vote on the floor. Make this a call to action now.

Link from DOW on their website:

http://www.defenders.org/newsroom/press_releases_folder/2008/06_11_2008_legislation_aims_to_strip_vital_protections_from_threatened_wildlife_on_cape_hatteras_national_seashore.php

Email Alert sent out to their members:

"The threatened piping plovers of Cape Hatteras National Seashore already face lots of obstacles to breeding and survival. Now add three more: North Carolina's two U.S. senators, Richard Burr and Elizabeth Dole, plus U.S. Rep. Walter Jones."

The News & Observer (Raleigh), June 15, 2008

Two Steps Forward, One Leap Back?

You can help protect imperiled loggerhead turtles like this by taking action now.

The emergency plan to protect wildlife at Cape Hatteras National Seashore is working.

Don't let Congress turn back the clock.

Take action now to let your elected officials in Congress know that you oppose this short-sighted legislation.

Help spread the word. Forward this message to friends and family who want to ensure Cape Hatteras is protected for future generations.

A few months ago, a federal judge approved an emergency plan to protect the fragile ecosystems of Cape Hatteras while the Park Service develops long-overdue driving rules for these special beaches -- a huge victory for wildlife and the people who care about protecting this amazing place.

Now there's legislation on the table aimed at overriding this plan and turning back the clock on Hatteras.

Take action now to let your elected officials know that you oppose this bill - and to show you support science over special interests.

Anyone who's ever been to Hatteras cares about protecting it for future generations. But the truth is, the Cape Hatteras we all know and love could disappear forever if we don’t protect it now.

If this new federal legislation passes, it would be an enormous step backward for Cape Hatteras and a return to the failed management strategy that has degraded these special beaches and forced the shorebirds, turtles and other imperiled wildlife that depend on them to pay the price.

Not only that, it would set a dangerous precedent by attacking the laws that safeguard our parks and seashores.

These beaches -- and the imperiled turtles and birds that depend on them -- can't afford to take a step backward: they're in crisis now. Take action now to oppose this short-sighted legislation.

On any given day during peak season, as many as 2,200 vehicles line Cape Hatteras's long string of shoreline. During nesting season, these vehicles may damage or destroy the nests of already-imperiled shorebirds and turtles, pushing them closer to extinction.

In the last decade alone, birds that were once common on these shores have declined by an average of 86%.

The court-approved emergency plan has put much needed protections in place and is the result of collaboration and consensus among local residents, environmental groups, scientists, fishers and a coalition of ORV groups called the Cape Hatteras Access Preservation Alliance who all share one goal: protecting this special place.

And it's working. Since some of the most sensitive areas were closed to vehicles, birds like the piping plover and the American oystercatcher have been bouncing back.

We all know that Cape Hatteras is worth protecting. But some elected officials in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia are bowing to pressure from special interests to turn back the clock on wildlife -- and risking the long-term health of Hatteras in the process.

Basing decisions on how to manage Cape Hatteras on the desires of a handful of special interests would be a disservice to the wildlife and natural resources this national seashore was established to protect -- not to mention the thousands of locals and visitors alike who enjoy these beaches every year.

That's why it's so important that they hear from you. Take action now to let your elected officials know know you oppose this legislative ploy and support the current path to progress.

With your help, we can protect this cherished natural treasure and the imperiled turtles, shorebirds and other imperiled wildlife that depend on it to survive.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mary Beth Beetham
Director of Legislative Affairs
Defenders of Wildlife

The Facts about Beach Driving and the Emergency Plan:

Under the emergency plan, more than one third of the Seashore's 66 miles of beach remain open for driving, and about 83% are open to pedestrians, according to the National Park Service's June 5 access report.
Only about 18% of the beach is closed to provide emergency protection for some of Cape Hatteras's most sensitive areas; the other closures are based on routine seasonal or safety needs.
The emergency plan was developed to be flexible, with temporary closures that can be lifted and reopened to vehicles once wildlife is no longer using certain areas. Already, some areas have been reopened this season.

****LIES, LIES, LIES More Junk Science--More like 18% is open if that....What areas have been re-opened????? I think they got this backwards. So get your faxes or phone calls out today....JODY

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is the responce I got back

Thank you for your letter. I appreciate the time that you have taken to express your thoughts and concerns, and I will keep your opinion in mind.

In order to best represent the people of Ohio’s Sixth Congressional District, I rely upon communication from you and others to help keep me informed about the issues that matter in the lives of Ohioans. I hope that you will continue to keep me informed of your views and provide me with information about issues before the Congress that are important to you.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write to me and inform me of your opinion. I look forward to continuing to represent you in the future, and I encourage you to contact me if I can be of any assistance to you or your family.

Sincerely,

Charles A. Wilson
Member of Congress

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Sounds as though he was tiptoeing around the issue.. Maybe a phone call explaining to him that eventually even Ohio will be affected by these inviros at some point.. This is a national issue,not just a Hatteras one,maybe explain to him that this is a national park,therefore requiring the attention of all congressmen across the nation's attention........

Thank you for helping by writing the letter ,pgun....

·
Registered
660 Posts
Just sent another msg to my US Rep asking that he support & co-sponsor H.R. 6233. I urge you all to do likewise...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hatteras Point access

I'm new to the Cape Point access situation. (I used to go there every fall and drive to the Point in the dark just before sunrise to fish.)

I don't have it clear: is it off limits to everyone at all times now, even people strolling the beach?

Could you walk there from some remote parking lot, like the lighthouse?

Can you walk there at all before 6 am?

Thanks.
(What a mess, I'm normally a big preservationist but this sounds like whacko rules)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts