Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live about 350 miles away from OBX, but fell in love with the area a year ago. I've been down three times and will be back from the 15th to the 22nd of November. After watching you guys have all the fun, I want to fish.

Being the guy who knows nothing but can relate to the fun you're having - tell me what I should do, where I should go, who I should see. I want to have the time of my life, but don't quite know how to go about doing it. But I can tell you... the story about those guys catching the shark and steaking it up right there on the pier is enough for me.

Any and all suggestions are welcome... please :fishing::beer:

I'm staying just north of Hatteras - still within site of the Avon pier.

·
Banned
946 Posts
get ready to spend some coin :)

Starting out is tough. I think the best thing to do is go with someone that knows what they're doing so they can teach you the ropes. If that isn't an option, you need to figure out what you want to do. Do you just want to catch some fish or chase drum, shark, etc? That decision affects what you buy. If you just want to catch something, then go to tackle store and ask for some assistance.

I would get a rod that can throw 2-6 ounces to start off with regardless. This is the rod you'll use the most and are cheaper than heavers. Just a good general fishing rod. I would put some decent money into it, but you don't have to go crazy. Something in the $60-150 range. You'll have to decide if you want a conventional or spinning setup. I prefer conventional, but that's a matter of preference. Spinning rods are easier to throw, but they tear up my fingers when throwing heavier weights so I'm just in the habit of using them. But some can throw 8-n-bait on a spinner just fine using Breakaway Cannons or leather straps. A choice you'll have to make. Spinners are fine for 6 ounces and less for sure.

So what's general fishing stuff? Tying the different knots, reading the beach to find fish, choosing tackle, bait etc. These tasks are easier with most species and harder for drum and the like.

So once you feel comfortable with the basics, you can learn more techniques for more species. If you want to fish drum, you can get a heavier that throws 8-n-bait. Get a smaller 7.5 footer that throws .5 to .66 ounces for sea trout. There are lots of ways to fish beyond the general stick fishing with cut bait approach. But I recommend getting comfortable with the basics first. Once you do that, you'll meet people on the beach. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You can learn a lot from the old timers and most are more than happy to help out a rookie. And this board is a great place to ask questions. Lots of knowledge hear. Visit the bible section and don't be afraid to search.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does and thanks for the advice.

For a 48 year-old man with a new habit about to break out, I'm game. I've got a couple of rods in the garage that fit the description, but I'm no player out there and really do need to hook up with someone who wouldn't mind passing the day with a guy who would stay out of the way and enjoy whatever comes along.

Anyone out there who wouldn't mind passing along this great passion to someone who wants to learn it while I'm here near the Avon Pier - let me know. I'd be grateful.

I'm soaking up what you guys have to pass along, so please do.

Thanks for the words skunk king.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leaving day after tomorrow. Headed out early, so I should make it to the ocean by around noon.

Any other suggestions? Anybody going to be around AVON pier?

:fishing:

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Well it's hard to cover general stuff, but is there anything more specific you want to ask?
Try the search feature if you haven't already and search for whatever you want, more than likely it's been asked before and you'll find tons of info on it.
I'm not in the area or I'd offer to come help you out.

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
Jed11, Welcome to Pier and Surf!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the welcomes...

specifically, if i don't find someone to buddy-up with and i'm a newby loner, what's the best thing to fish for and fish with... keep it simple... i'm packing tomorrow and headed out early saturday morning.

one way or another, i'm going to be throwing something by noon!

i'm reading everything i can find here... and you're right - lots of good stuff... over my head... but good stuff!

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The best thing to fish for if you just want some action would be to get some good fresh bait, fresh shrimp and finger mullet. I like head on shrimp, 2-3" from a place that sells fresh seafood. And get some finger mullet, a bait shop will probably have some frozen that work fine, but I wouldn't buy live ones to cut up, they're too expensive. If you net your own, then cutting them up is another story. Take the finger mullet (4-6"+), go down with your bait knife right behind his gills and fillet back to the tail. Do that on both sides and you have 2 good fillets that will flop around in the current and that works better IMO than just cutting him into pieces.

Fish those two on a 2 hook bottom rig, shrimp on one hook mullet on the other, and cast them out. They should catch about anything around (at least down here). If you catch something small, 4-8" like a pinfish, spot, croaker (check the regs first, I'm not in your state but bait you cut up has to be legal length and counts towards your limit of that species here) then you can cut them up for fresh bait, too.

That should get you going until someone can help you out. If you fish near someone (and don't get right on top of them) see if they can help you out, most people will be glad to.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Never been to that particular pier, but most piers have tackle shops. Take a day and just hang out, watch what the veterans are doing and what they are using. Don't hesitate to ask questions. No question is a dumb question to someone that doesn't know! We all started off baiting our first hook, making our first cast, and catching our first fish. The pier or local bait and tackle shop can help with everything you need to get started, including cluing you in on what the bite is like and what baits are best. I will say "fresh is best". You can't go wrong with fresh shrimp and fresh cut mullet. I know people here will disagree, but go to walmart or bass pro and get a combo spinner for less than $100 to get started, double drop rigs with 4-6 oz weights. I don't recommend starting with a conventional reel until your hooked and want to upgrade your gear. If you've never fished and you start blowing up a conventional every other time you cast, it could turn you off real quick. Start out slow and cheep and work your way up.
Just make sure you have fun!

Good Luck and Welcome to P&S

PS; You have to give us a report when you return. The best part about fishing is BRAGGING RIGHTS:D

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Happen to think of a couple more tips.

Until you get comfortable casting, stay away from the crowded area of the pier.
If you start casting over others lines and getting tangled, you won't make many friends.
Also don't stand that pretty new rod proudly against the rail unattended. If a large skate, shark or any larger fish find your bait, your new rod and reel could be the newest edition to Davey Jones locker:eek: I've seen it happen more than once. Lay er low and never walk away without someone watching it or tethering it to the rail!

Once again, Good Luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol - thanks for all the great comments and suggestions! It's 10:40pm here - I'm headed for a few hours sleep and plan to head out early - around 3am... I'll keep you posted on how the week goes - and I'll be checking in when I can!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Jed11--Good luck and let us know how you do. The Forums are all about sharing our love of fishing.

If you were to make it to Florida in my area, I'd meet up with you and pass on the knowledge. I've done it many a time as one who passes on the know how of an area and one who receives.

Give us an update tomorrow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I'm just getting back... having a blast!

Got down later than expected Saturday and watched for hours a floundering sailboat that finally grounded near the Avon pier after dark Saturday night.

This is a picture of the boat Sunday morning.

Turns out the guy is a Frenchman, sailing from Boston to Charleston and has grounded his boat 4 times now - not a happy fellow!

Tugboat could not get the 9 foot keel to budge... two tugboats coming Tuesday!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry I'm just getting back... having a blast!

Got down later than expected Saturday and watched for hours a floundering sailboat that finally grounded near the Avon pier after dark Saturday night.

This is a picture of the boat Sunday morning.

Turns out the guy is a Frenchman, sailing from Boston to Charleston and has grounded his boat 4 times now - not a happy fellow!

Tugboat could not get the 9 foot keel to budge... two tugboats coming Tuesday!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Out fishing for the first time today... my wife caught a couple of bluefish right off the bat...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But seriously, I fought this thing for an hour and fifteen minutes... best guess it was a stingray about as wide as the boat that had dug in... finally clamped down and tried to get him high enough to see him... but with the light stuff I was fishing with the line broke... man to feel that thing decide to pull the line and draw it out like that, then rest for awhile and let me reel him in for awhile... it was awsome... we were fishing in water about 35-40 feet deep just off Ocracoke here...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All was not lost... for Jed11's first time ocean fishing... I snagged a stingray that got got away and this oyster toad... this has to be the ugliest fish God ever created... with teeth as big as mine and a jaw slap as loud as clapping your hands... I was told there are guys that catch these things and get a $1.00 a pound for them... cut the head off and gut it and you've got the closest thing to an ocean chicken leg you've ever seen!.

Man is this fun!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts