Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Spinning reel jigging
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my brother in law is visiting for a few days and wanted to take a day fishing. He wanted to try for trout 1st and rather than head to a state stocked stream I decided to try a stream 5min from my house that only gets stocked once a year for a kids tournament. Tournament is at the end of May, hasn't been stocked yet this year but there is always holdovers in it if you have patience and fish hard. My brother in law hooked the biggest most beautiful rainbow I have ever seen. Over 20in easy. Huge pink line down it's back and very very thick. Thing looked like a salmon. But inexperience determined he would live another day. My brother in law knows nothing about drag so big fish 4lb test and the fish lives to fight another day. Broke him off right at the bank as I was about to get in water to try and get it. That was the most exciting part of the day but not the craziest. Left the stream and went to a local lake searching for crappie and white perch. I found a tree in the water and when I fished on the left side of the tree caught all crappie. When I fished on the right side of the tree all white perch. Craziest experience ever. Only 9 crappie kept but caught around 30 easy. Kept every white perch cuz they taking over the lake making it hard on other fish. 38 white perch came home most of them already cleaned

·
Registered
Spinning reel jigging
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something different I noticed also. I have fished 2 different lakes up here in pa in the last week. Caught white perch in both lakes and can say for sure the white perch haven't spawned in either lake yet. I guess they spawn the same time as crappie up here. Just surprising to me bcuz I try to catch the Millington spawning run every year and that's always around the 3rd week of March

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Water temps up in PA might have something to do with it. I used to do a lot of bass fishing near Shohola and Guntersville lake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts