Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all who responded to my earlier post in regards to what is a good surf casting combo.

I have since bought a 10' Ugly Stik , and matched it up to a Penn 6500 SS reel.........I love it.

I bought a 50 dollar backup Skakespeare 10' combo and it works nice also.

I am also looking at a Tica rod for heavier wieghts. The Ugly stick is a tad too tip soft for casting the 3-5 oz. weights.

I have been out to sea gull pier and didn't do much there, but have been over to Dam Neck beach and been catching alot of Croaker, small Flounder, baby sharks, skates etc.

Im getting the casting down pretty well, im getting it out about 250 feet. But..... from what I have been reading ...guys are getting it out 300-400 feet. Any ideas?

Dam Neck has a sand bar not too far off the beach ( probably 150 feet) with sea grass. I get all my Croaker in the trough between the beach and the sand bar.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Technique, technique, technique!

Ask the boys on the distance casting forum. They'll help ya get more distance in a short period of time.

However, on the ugly...they generally have a soft action so forget about snapping 4 or 5 oz. out there 300+ feet. They just won't do it in the average angler's hands. Now, 2 or 3 oz. and you just may do it. Try a 2 or 3 oz. kastmaster spoon and see how you do.

Also, it's my understanding that you need to slow down the initial part of your cast to allow the rod to load, but then again, I can't cast worth a darn anyway.:(

·
Registered
500 Posts
Ugly stiks are notoriously soft, so you are probably near the limit for that rod. The Tica will improve your distance, along with technique and practice.

·
Registered
291 Posts
how u cast far- you use a tica graphite rod. Those things can really get out there. I have an ugly stick with a penn 4400ss and love it to. It is more of my lure casting rod. Especially for schoolies.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Use thin diameter line such as Strene magna thin. 16 lb is equivalent to about 12 lbs. Thinner lines also permit lower weights to be used.

Spool to about 1 mm from edge of line. The 6500 has high line capacity. Therefore, spool the first 1/3 with cheap line. Put a scotch tape on it. Then spool with premium line. Some lines are more castable than others. The type of line you use and how you spool is extremely important for maximum casting potential.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts