Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys fishing these days, Ive been fishing a 2pc/1pc <1508> for years and think it may be time for a new rod, purglas, lami, AFAW, give me some suggestions:popcorn:

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
What are you guys fishing these days, Ive been fishing a 2pc/1pc <1508> for years and think it may be time for a new rod, purglas, lami, AFAW, give me some suggestions:popcorn:
Don't rule out the Wheeler line of rods. I fished a Rainshadow 1509 last year and had a drum destroy my lower back. Got 2 in one day on my Fusion last week and it was a pleasure fighting the fish.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Go with either of the following:

Tommy Wheeler's Fusion - if you can get one. Availability and support is weak. Also, the Wheeler blanks are off-centered. A 4Ft butt and a 9Ft top. Makes transporting a problem for many. Good blank though.

The Daiwa Saltiga 35 is just plain AWESOME. Light, powerful and easily transported.

The New Zealand CTS blank. Get the 13 foot and not the 13-6 blank. Two piece centered.

The first two will run you in that $400 to $500 range. The Daiwa comes pre-built or blank alone. Take your pick. We do a lot of Drum fishing in Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks and the Daiwa has become the rod of choice for many. Daiwa also makes a 33 which is softer and the 40 which is stiffer. The 35 will throw 10 and bait with no problem. It is tailor made for 8 N bait as is the Fusion. You cannot go wrong with any of the three listed here. The CTS is the new class and is superior to either but so is the cost. You will spend roughly $550 to $600 for that rod built out. It is incredibly light, powerful and easily throws 8 n bait and/or land 50 pound drum and the occassional ray.

The 1509's and 1569's will work you. The 1508 is a better blank than the 1509 or 1569 unless you are King Kong. The 1569 has a very thin wall which makes it a fairly light blank but they have a tendency to break around the reel seat. The butt section is undergoing a design revisionment that should improve on that problem. If you have the brute power required, the 1569 will serve you well.

If you fish the beach exclusively, the Lamiglass GSB150 is an excellent compromise. It is 12-6 but usually ends up around 12-4 which gives up about a foot in length. Additionally, they are not as powerful as the other blanks listed but do have one superior feature. The rod is so light, you can stand on the Point all day with the GSB150 in hand and not get tired. Probably the best beach rod. Will not throw with the other blanks mentioned. It is a niche blank.

If you need more info, contact me at [email protected].

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
fusion mag. i've seen too many diawas break. the cts arent worth the money being in another year or two there will be 5 other more powerful rods. Wheelers support and availability for me has been excellent.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Drumrun,

Thought I'd weigh in on this one. Like CDog, I have the Fusion and absolutely love it. That said, I also have an AFAW Surf which is good for 2-5 oz of lead but the AFAW Beach is good to 10 like the Fusion.

They are both different feel rods, both light and both throw well. One of the main differences is the bite detection, better on the AFAW. Also, I know the AFAW casts a bit farther in terms of distance with comparable weights.

Love them both, wouldn't trade either. You can't go wrong with either rod and both are unconditionally guaranteed.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I am having a hard time finding a fusion blank, seems as though Hatteras jacks is out, so is TW's and suggestions as where to buy and who to get to build. Thanks again guys

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Drumrun,

Contact Tommy at Carolina Cast Pro (go into the Distance Casting forum) and he can give an idea on the AFAW rods. They are great rods. Not trying to push it but I think you should try both the Fusion and the Beach and then make a decision. JMHO. ;)

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, I am having a hard time finding a fusion blank, seems as though Hatteras jacks is out, so is TW's and suggestions as where to buy and who to get to build. Thanks again guys
contact Ed K on the board he wraps stuff, he maybe able to get one for you

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ed K does great work and is a super nice guy. He has wrapped a bunch of rods for me including the Fusion and the Fusion Mag. When I first got them I thought they threw about the same but the more I throw them the Mag feels better. The Daiwa Ballistic 35 is a great travel rod 3pc throws great and is super light. Good luck with your search.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts