Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of AllStar 1418 rods outfitted with 6500 CT Chrome Rockets. Great combo for Stripers and such on AI but a bit under gunned for HI.

Looking for something with a bit more rear end. Would grab another couple 7500C3CT in a heart beat but you know the story there.

Anyhow, looking at the AKios Shuttle 666 SCM-W the AKios 575 CTM or perhaps even the 757 SCM Vittesse.

Leaning towards the Shuttle but don’t want to go that route unless they are a step up in power from the 6500s.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
what are you looking for? Better drag? The shuttle reels are similar to the abu's. The akios f15 supposedly has a stronger drag.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
All kinds of folks use 6500 sized reels on the beach for Drum. Most Drum run parallel to the beach so you can follow them, these folks tend to use lighter lines, but Drum and Cobia are caught all the time with these reels.

On a pier it is a different story.

Most everyone I know uses much smaller reels than we did back in the day. The drags are better and the new reels are by and larger smoother.

Most of the DrumPro's use either Fathom 15's or Seigler and a few of the rest of the usual suspects like Daiwa, Shimano and Akios and a few Abu's.

Akios 666 Shuttle is a nice reel, I would get that over a Akios 7500.

I have cast a few Akios 7500's belonging to other folks but either they were gummed up with lube or something else was holding them back, because my 30 year old Abu 7000's would smoke them in the distance part of the equation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts