Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I purchased one of the Tica 10' conventional rods. Recently I decided to purchase a reel specifically for the rod since I have simply been switching reels around from other rods up until now whenever I used the rod.

I decided on one of the new Garcia 6600C5 Mag-X reels. Describing this reel in one word would be "smooth". This seems to be a super combo, and best of all, it doesn't break the bank!

If you are in the market for a conventional setup that will allow you to go up against some of the big boys occassionally, you could do much worse than this Tica/C5 rig.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have same reel and the only time I have backlash problems is if I am using too light of a lure for th erig or I don't use th emag to it's full potential when needed. Very smooth, though I did have the levelwind bearings seize. Pay close attention to them since they are exposed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the head's up about the bearings, Shoeless. I'll keep my eye on them.

I hope to try this rig out down at the point next month. It should work well with a 2-3oz cobia jig for sightcasting while I set a bottom rig/eel combination with a heaver.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts