Pier and Surf Forum banner

new anchor reel

2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  geo 
#1 ·
just bought a avet sx 5.3 MC for a dedicated anchor reel, how would you spool it?
JS

#2 ·
I've been through this myself, problem is line capacity, You'll have to use 20lb. and a shock leader. That's fine , a good set up.
But when it's time to pull up is when you put the most stressful on it and most likely to have a break off , Also if you have any bird strike.
If you try a heavier line you won't have the capacity, and run all the line off to quickly.
What I and a number of others I fish with do is go to a larger reel (not to LG. ) fill it with straight 40 lb.
I love my Avets, have a few, but that's to much $$$. $$ for a reel that gets cast once a day (if you do it right) save it for Drum.
I've gotten a Okuma CZ-12CSa that will hold just short of 300yd. of 40lb. And less $$$. $$ spent on a reel that stays stationery.
I'm sure others will have their own way, This is just one of them

#3 · (Edited)
I've saw a couple guys who load them up with straight braid, to a shock leader, any one else do this? how does it work? Not doubting there are better choices, but bought the reel so cheap on ebay that I thought I stole it, and all I do is pinrig through the day, while I catch bait for the nights fishing, its not big enough for fishing nights (unless loaded with 50# braid) I have a sl30sh, a 40 sha, an akios 757, normaly use one of those for an anchor reel, just trying to find a use for the avet. I have never drum fished, would like to try it but I have no idea how, and don't know enough about "drum fishing eddiquate (s). I get to the beach about 10 days a year.
js

#4 ·
Braid can be a blessing and a curse depending on where you are, Some Piers don't allow it because of conflicts with mono getting cut, some no restrictions, Jennett's Pier rules for pin rigging says you have to have the first 100yds.be mono, At "The Point" you'll be treated as if you had Leprosy.

So you need to see if the Pier your going to fish has any rules about Braid.if not than load it up and go for it.

But remember if someone around you has a big fish he's fighting and his line gets cut when his"Fish of a Lifetime" crossed your "Braid" , Then you have a problem.

#5 ·
Depending on the weight of the anchor, I'll load it with straight 30 lb mono with either no shock leader (6 oz anchor) or with the smallest amount of 40 lb mono for shock (8 oz anchor) for my Avet SX5.3. What I have noticed is that you don't need the anchor line out that far depending on the area. Seems like most strike zones are near the pier.

#6 · (Edited)
Anchor Rod and Reel.....Most all piers do not allow Braid on on an anchor line. Jennette's included.

Fighting Rod with 100 yard or so top shot of mono is fine is fine on JP and some of the others but you will be run off Rodanthe using any kind of braid.

The reason is that if someone's mainline gets in to your anchor line it's gonna get cut off. Less chance of a cut off if it is mono to mono..

I have two SX MCs , Right now the only use I can find for them are Drum Fising for any female friend or inexperienced kid who comes fishing with me.

I'm thinking about making one it a Cobia "Bottom Bait" reel.

I just picked up a SLOSH 30 to use as a dedicated anchor reel since I now use 40# for anchor line. I wanna see if I can throw all of the line off it as I did my Saltist 30

Sorry about that Quigley.

#7 ·
Fished with Kenny and 2 other guys last year on avon, the other 2 guys had braid on their anchors, may just use my 757 as an anchor reel, I'm well aware Rodanthe will not allow braid, I talked to the owner about it, he would not allow a reel on the pier that had braid on as a backing, told him that was his right to make the rules that he thought was best but I have to much invested in the braid on my larger reels that I would not fish there, then sent him a check to help out his fund drive for pier repairs. thanks 2na
js

#9 ·
I will add. With 20lb anchor line it is important to change regularly. Just got done doing some casting practice, put my Seagate 30 up due to the line breaking. Hadn't changed it from about 10 days of kinging. The 30 on my spinner that was fished about the same amount of time, was ok though.

#10 · (Edited)
Avet with its lever drag is a mishap waiting to happen if someone bumps the lever into full drag, if a Flattosaurus gets ahold of the anchor line.

I have an Avet and thought about using it as an anchor rod, but it can't cast as well a Sl30SH or a SHV20 and it has that dicey lever drag that you have to worry about. Avet is a well made reel, it would be a shame to feed it to a Flatto....

Avon Pier allows braid because Kinnakeeters do not have sense.....Big Dave said on Sunday that Avon Pier was going to widen the end, just enough for a pendulum cast, so Kinnakeeters have to cringe this fall, if I am still here...Piling crew is working on Avon at this time, Big Dave said and if Big Dave said it I sure am not going to argue with him.

If you want to be selfish use braid, maybe you can cut off someone elses fish of a lifetime.

#12 ·
ok have talked with kinnakeeters ken and his offspring tater, their prognosis is the running line will cut the stationary line every time, but no matter will be rockin 25# high seas quattro on the reel as an anchor, what I do not understand is your reasoning of a ray hitting your anchor, have you landed rays in that manor?
js

#14 · (Edited)
DD takes exception to being called a Kinnakeeter.

Not sure about how the Potato Man feels about it, he probably don't care if you are his charter for the day:rolleyes:

Braid whether justified or not has a negative feeling about it on the Planks and at the Point.

Back in the day on the OBX we managed to catch a lot of Kings and Cobia before braid was ever in use. Managed to keep our fish iced and our beer cold without Yeti's either, a different time.

Personally I am up in the air for Braid, but so many fellas at the end of the T need something to bitch about so it is not something I would spool on a heaver, if I was going to put out an anchor.

If you are limiting your self to Avon Pier for King Fishing by insisting on braid, you are keeping yourself from being able to fish what are traditionally much better piers for pin fishing with much deeper water.

Avon has always been known as a Drum Pier.

#16 ·
I have no info about the SXMC as a anchor reel as I have never fished an anchor set up. That being said, I have a tendency of going against the grain.

I love my SXMC. I have it loaded with 17# Suffix Tri. I should have paid more attention but it held the better part of a 400yd spool (how much I have no idea, sorry). As for 20# I have never spooled it with 20 since the drag only holds about 12-15#. I can throw it pretty well but I have not fished with some of the favored reels like the slosh or shv. I have considered a MXLMC for more capacity but I think I will check out some other brands before I make that commitment.

I never thought about the lever drag being a problem but Garbo makes a good point. Mine us usually fished as a beach heaver, held or dead sticked, so i really don't have many worries about any one hitting it, but if it was left to its own devices on a pin rig I could see this.

best of luck

I thought. Turn it into a drum heaver and get something with higher capacity for your pin setup.

#17 ·
A moderate to strong SW wind muddies up the water on Avon and on a good day you might have six people pin rigging. That's probably why you won't hear many people say anything about your anchor line there.

I make my own anchors and can put a good amount of pressure on them. I don't like the SX MC is because it is too slow and doesn't cast as far as my usual Drum reels, using a seven ounce anchor. My 525 did not hold enough line when using 40, so I used one of my Drum reels last year.

The main reason I went to 40# mono last year is, it doesn't stretch like 20# and I can put pressure on it to run my bait out further. I'd rather bring a bait closer to the pier when fish are around than trying to shake a bait out to them. Second is I don't have to use shock leader, lastly, I WILL get my anchor back at the end of the day. Store Bought anchors are expensive for you guys who just come fish for a week and go home.

Last year the two Cobia I was involved with decking, bit less than twenty five feet from the pier. The first was on a bottom bait that the " Pretty Sharker" (Garbo's name for her) caught. The second was on a bait I pulled in quick when the Cobia swam around the underside of the pier. Had either of those fish gotten into an anchor line that was braid, it would have been over. Rest assure Harsh Words would have immediately followed. Because it had been a year and a half since I decked a big fish on a pin rig.

Drumdum and his offspring a Kinakeeter?????..... Nahhh I Don't Think So.

#20 ·
well ordered 25# high seas quattro for it, will try it a day, see how it goes, spider try an akios 757 ctm, awesome reels . still can't see how a ray can tangle in an anchor line, could see them bump it, but get tangled? to the point they drag the line around the pier 3 times? 2na do you sell any anchors?
js

#21 ·
If you spend much time in the future king fishing, you will have Pelicans, Sharks, Dolphins and Rays all run into your anchor, seldom does it happen but it does happen that whatever critter is tangled up stays tangled up.

A Dolphin in the anchor line is epic, A Dolphin stripped my friends anchor reel in less than 20 seconds.

Most fellas use High visibility line so the birds can see it better, not sure about what happens underwater.

#22 ·
I had two pelican strikes on my anchor in the same morning last year. I was using 20lb Hiviz mono. Talk about a freakin mess to deal with. I got the first pelican up on the deck and untangled him. He was not happy and neither was I. Threw my anchor back out and walked back down the pier to try and catch a bait, since my only bait was half dead at this point. I swear it wasn't ten minutes later I see the crew at the end yelling for me. Yep, another motherf*&#@ing pelican! At this point I was furious. It took every ounce of self control I had not to choke that thing to death when I got him up on the pier.

The problem with the rays, which I have seen twice, is that when they break off on a touron, the double hook bottom rig and 30 yards of 40lb Red Cajun line is trailing behind them. This will get tangled in your anchor line and cause you severe annoyance and displeasure.
Hell, I seen Kyle deck a 35" drum on his anchor rod because it had a bottom rig stuck it its mouth and got tangled in his line as it swam by.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.