·
Registered
797 Posts
pricey...

s-baby, that's a pricey mother aint it.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
That's a nice looking reel. Wish I knew how to cast one. Maybe one of these days I'll break down and start using conventionals from shore.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's got mags...

Anthony,

One day I will let you cast one of my conventional reels and you will see how easy it really is. With the mags added, birds nests are a thing of the past (well sort of) ;)

This reel would be real sweet on the new metal slinging rod I am building this Winter. :)

·
Registered
823 Posts
they are mucho proud of that heffer.............gives me sticker shock!:D :jawdrop:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was admiring that reel- the D5; I wonder how it compares with the C5 mag.
In Cabelas saltwater catalog there is another NEW reel the INTERNATIONAL MAG but there is nothing about it on the Abu site! Abu needs to update their web site.

·
Registered
44 Posts
6500CS Sports Mag

They're not new. Been around for awhile. Just very hard to get as they were never really imported. Some shops got some through overseas sources. I got mine from a site in Sweden.
It is a awesome reel. Almost literally impossible to backlash it. I have 2 CT models and they will THROW.
Of course; just like all Abu's, you have to change the drag washers.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Not all of them have clickers...

Some do - some don't. I have a couple of Penn Jigmasters that do along with my Daiwa and my ABU 10000CL. My ABU's (5600 and 6500 CS Mag) do not...but then - Who needs a clicker when you are using it for casting lures?

Check them out - all manufactures are different...

The clicker - When you get ready to cast, you place your thumb on the line spool and press a button/lever which places the spool into "free spool" where it can spin freely and is ready to cast when you remove your thumb. I usually cast, reel in the slack, let out some slack, put the rod in the holder, and press the "free spool" lever and put the clicker on. The clicker prevents the line from going out like the free spool option but does let out line if the force is strong enough to activate the clicker. When line goes out with the clicker on - it makes a noise and wakes you up! ;)

F

·
0 Posts
As info, I would not leave a reel in free spool with the clicker on, it will not prevent a backlash if a fish hits fast and hard on most reels. Loosin up the drag to keep your rod from leaving without you. Keep some tension on the spool, when you get a strike, turn clicker off, and tighten down on the fish. If you are using a circle hook, tighten a little more, so the fish will hook it'self.

My .02

Fishhook

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clicker on - Clicker off

Fishhook,

Bay and Piers - I usually leave the clicker on when fishing the bay or piers. At ther first sign of action (click, click,click) I turn it off to concentrate on the fish bite.

Ocean Surf - The clicker does not hold when fishing in the surf due to the slack in the line. This slack creates tension on the reel and the clicker will not keep your line in place. For the ocean, clicker off and drag set.

Sorry I didn't make that clear. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts