Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my 8' rod and reel combo that I bought 3 years ago, finally gave up the ghost yesterday. I went to the true value on Carolina Beach and bought the setup that I listed in the title. I had the guy put on some 20lb mono, since I read on here that mono is better to learn on. My first cast was bird nest city. I practiced about 30 casts and finally put some bait on it. Caught 2 small sheepheads on my 2nd cast. This is my first conventional reel and I'm liking it so far. I've bird nested it a couple of times since but I backed the brake off. I know it's too late to ask, but, what do you guys think of the gear I just bought? Thanks.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I know nothing about the rod, but I'm a big fan of ABU reels. I've got about 20 of them, but most are older models. If you're happy with it, then you made a good choice! :D

What type of mono did they put on it? Not all are the same. It may cast better the more you cast it as some have more memory and than others and are quite stiff & springy when new.

Congrats on the catch with the new outfit! :fishing:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Levellinebrad

you can really smoke'em with this set-up. I would get exactly the same if i were in need. i look at those key largo every time i am in thst store.adjust the tension every time you change weight ..reel weight to top press release and the wt should drop slowly to the ground. pretty soon you can go to 12lb mono. spike that rod at 45% angle for better bite detection.. the fleas are there.they show at mid high tide..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts