Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone own/used/have opinions about the Silstar RXB Baitrunners?

Here is the Info...

My first surf outfit was a Silstar "Combo", let's see, that was 33 years ago :rolleyes: I think I spent more time tearing the reel down to fix it, than I did fishing. I kept the reel in my reel box, just to remind me never to buy another one.

The reason the question arises, is a buddy in MA., that I bought a Tica 10'6" rod from, has an RXB 80 he offered me for $20 (shipping included). I've been using a Shimano 4500 on it, which is fine, but thinking of sometimes needing more line capacity, and I also don't really have a suitable back up reel for that rod. Needless to say, it's more of a heaver/bait rig, mostly used on the OBX.

Silstar just sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth, maybe they've become better over the years?

Your $.02 would be much appreciated........

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
For what it's worth I just got the Okuma Coronado 65 and I would definitly pick that over the silstar and you can get it for a good price.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
cocoflea, what did you pay for the coronado 65,I'v been looking at different places that sell it and the price range is anywhere from $63 to $80. Do you think this price for the coronado CD-90 is ok($66.00). TRIGGER

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
YesI paid $60 for mine and I'm not a bit sorry for pay that price

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
From what I know (which is limited with Silstar, and mostly romur) they did make some good stuff. Also they never seem to never completely die. I saw a thread on Silstar on SOL by AJ.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Silstar just sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth, maybe they've become better over the years?
When you know what to look for it's easy to judge the utility of a fishing reel.

You have to look very carefully at all sides and from all angles.

Now, do you see these letters?

PENN

Life's too short to waste on sub-standard tackle.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Never thought I'd be asking this...

Smoothbore54 said:

Now, do you see these letters?

PENN

Life's too short to waste on sub-standard tackle.

You're right,
That's what I'm trying to do. Keep in mind, this is to be a "spare" reel for that set-up. Like new, spooled, shipped, $20. Think it sold for around $80. So economics is one angle, already own 5 Shimano baitrunners, from the 4500 down. So if I wanted to buy a more expensive reel, that would mostly stay in the real bag, it would be? :D

As far as Penn, workhorse of a reel, but with heaver/bait fishing, I have had a problem with the bail flipping over early when you cast, and find this problem to be a general issue with fellow anglers.

Another angle, line capacity:

Penn Live Liner...Line Cap. 325/12...cost..about $140
Shimano 4500...Line Cap. (same as Penn)...cost... about $110
Shimano 6500...Line Cap. (much more)...cost..about $120
Silstar RXB 80...Line Cap. (much more than 6500)...cost $20

So, I would say, that pretty much covers "looking very carefully at all sides and from all angles" ;)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
CORONADO CD-65

CD-65 line Cap. 360/12 280/15 210/20

Cost $69.00

Just another option to look it.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
WIZARDUDE - Bail flipping over too soon

The Okuma Axeon has an ASB - 'Anti Snap Back' bail locking system. Read below. I have the same problem - bail closes too early and there goes your rig.

AXEON

Surf Addiction-- two words. If you have it, they make perfect sense. Surf fishing goes way beyond "fishing". It is something about the surf providing on your chest, the wind and salt on your face, and of course the stripers! One trip to the outer banks or to the shores of Long Island during striper season and you will see it for yourself. And like all cult like passions, the purist are serious about their tackle. The Axeon, with its 12 ball bearings, is made to the exacting demands of the hard-core surf fisherman. They feature a worm shaft oscillation system for even line lay, crucial for extending the distance of the cast. The rotor brush system keeps looping line from getting tangled under the long stroke conical spools. The ASB -"Anti Snap Back" bail locking system, keeps the bail open during casting. The large, oversized one-way roller bearing eliminates all slop from the handle play, and allows for instant hook set. We even treat the stainless steel rotor bearing with a special extreme anti-corrosion coating for additional protection, because we know what prolonged exposure to salt can do to even stainless steel. With one turn of the handle, one thing should be clear-- At Okuma, we understand "Surf Fishing."

Machined aluminum & ported conical spool.
Eleven SUS sealed ball bearings
One-way roller ball bearing .
Rotor Brush System to prevent line tangles.
One-touch machined aluminum handle.
Titanium nitrate coated line roller.
Oversized ergonomic soft touch handle.
Worm shaft oscillation for even line lay.
Oil-soaked felt and stainless steel drag.
Waterproof drag seal
Quick Set anti-reverse
Spare matching aluminum spool

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model Number
Gear Ratio
Wt. (oz.)
Bearings
Line Capacity (yds/lbs)

AX-65 new! 3.8:1 30.1 11+1 450/12 360/15 260/20
AX-90 new! 3.8:1 29.9 11+1 400/20 330/25 280/30
AXS-65 new! 5.1:1 30.1 11+1 450/12 360/15 260/20
AXS-90 new! 5.1:1 29.9 11+1 400/20 330/25 280/30

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cocoflea said:
CORONADO CD-65

CD-65 line Cap. 360/12 280/15 210/20

Cost $69.00

Just another option to look it.
I've also checked that out, but the CD65 has about the same Cap. as my 4500, and the CD90, just holds "too" much line, 500/20. What gets me about those is, the 65 and the 90 weigh within a few grams of each other?

Orest, the "Okuma Axeon" "is" a nice reel, but no baitrunner feature. This is a "must" have for me, as I set it in the holder, and either work the slough, or pitch lures, while it's taking care of "itself" ;)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Okuma

CORRIDA BR-65

BR-65 Line Cap. 330/12 275/15 205/20 $51.00

No I don't work for Okuma I just like the product and I having no issues with them :)

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
cocoflea

Line Cap looks good on this one, wonder why the CD65 didn't carry it on? Seems though, you loose too many goodies (ie, stainless gears, ball bearings.
, etc). Really don't think this is an "OBX"/heaver reel ;)

BTW, first site I clicked had it for $45, and E-bay has dozens at $38.50, if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
even missing the goodies it's still better than a silstar IMO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts