Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the folks in Va Beach and South Hampton Roads...............

Several months ago a new store opened up in the Walmart Shopping Center at the corner of Lynnhaven Parkway and Princess Anne Road in Virginia Beach. It's in the old Kroger Supermarket spot and is called " Fresh Market...An International Store"

They have the largest selection of FRESH fish I've ever seen in a supermarket.
Some of their fish is even kept alive swimming in tanks until you pick it out.

It's basically a huge Asian supermarket featuring foods from Korea, China, Japan,etc. Also, their sushi department is great.

If the local bait shops ever run out of fresh bait...check this place out

Howie

·
Registered
227 Posts
it's a cool store, pretty sure it's a sister store of kroger, at any rate...lots of fish, frozen stuff that looks like it might be good on a hook, and fresh squid which looked pretty cheap!!!

i'm going to get some cheap stuff there and try it out on hooks, never know right?
:spam:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Sorry Kev, but no. Sandtrout, aka (Choppa) made a thread about that place soon after it opened. Its a great place for bait though. They got live tau tog in that place. :eek:Live talapia too.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Fresh World is not at all within the Kroger family.

From what I've been told...all the local Kroger stores plan to close down. Something about keeping only stores in preferred geographic zones. With the east coast losing out.

Course that was before the economy got shot to all heck. :rolleyes:
If plans are still on...it'll happen within a year and some months. :(

·
Registered
93 Posts
For the folks in Va Beach and South Hampton Roads...............

Several months ago a new store opened up in the Walmart Shopping Center at the corner of Lynnhaven Parkway and Princess Anne Road in Virginia Beach. It's in the old Kroger Supermarket spot and is called " Fresh Market...An International Store"

They have the largest selection of FRESH fish I've ever seen in a supermarket.
Some of their fish is even kept alive swimming in tanks until you pick it out.

It's basically a huge Asian supermarket featuring foods from Korea, China, Japan,etc. Also, their sushi department is great.

If the local bait shops ever run out of fresh bait...check this place out

Howie
Also, it's actually a great place to shop. The produce is great and very cheap. The fresh fish section is pretty good as well. But yeah..........fresh shrimp and squid ect. Good place.

·
Registered
181 Posts
just left Fresh world,got some big squids, jumbo head on shrimp,one big blue fish, and it only cost me $13.They're prices seem very reasonable,also they had big shads for 2 bucks a pound and huge mullet for about the same,all were fresh.I think this will be my new bait store if they don't start hiking the prices up,but all in all great store.:fishing:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Do they sell live shrimp up there at Fresh World?? After somebody mentioned they had some live Tog, I'm assuming they have live shrimp, but figured I'd ask anyway.
well im not sure,as I got there 30 min. after they opened,they were still putting stuff out.Thye had live tog,tilapia,1 oyster toad,dungenous crab,blue crab,and jonah carbs

·
Registered
171 Posts
There are two other similar stores in Va. Beach. One is at Newtown and Baker Roads, I think it is called the International Market. The other one is at Great Neck and Va. Beach Blvd. That one is called the 88 Asian Market I believe. I think both stores carry fresh fish and live bait and are closer to the fishing than Lynnhaven Parkway. I have not visited them personally, but will soon and report back, but have heard that bait is fresh.

·
Registered
200 Posts
They do not have live shrimp (fresh world) or any for that matter. The transport of live shrimp is a pain in the rear and unfortunatly the closes place to get them is NC. They have everything else if they don't the just ask and if they don't have it they will either know when it is coming in or who has it. As far as the prices going up that doesn't happen with these places if you travel around you'll notice that a lot of these place exist but al have one thing in common they are simple, friendly, and cheap. Keep your eyes on them some creative things show up every so often

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.