Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a gaff that is getting kind of old and needs replacing. I am trying to decide on if i want to get another gaff or change over to a net. I would like anyones input on the pros and cons of each. I have lost a few fish cause of missed gaffs and have had a few fish lost due to poor netting. Was just wondering what everyones opions are on the best way to go. Also if anyone has bougt one recently and found a good deal that would be helpful also..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fishslaya,
I believe that you need both, if you want to release any fish the net is the way to go but sometimes it is almost impossiable to get a large cobia or shark in a net. So here is were we are you can net most all fish but do you want just a net when your cobia is shy. I have both and I suggest if you use a gaf not to use chain on it. Yhe chain can pop you line faster than any rope, I even wrap nylon tape around the knot to keep lines as safe as posable. On the net I wrapped lead sinkers of an old cast net around the ring to make it more managable in windy conditions.Hope this helps.
:--->
Realfur

1 - 2 of 2 Posts