Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are pier fishers, but due to Isabel, pier spots will be hard to come by. We are looking to increase our time surf fishing. Currently we have no 4WD so we can't go to the hot spots off road, but can fish from the normal beaches.

Anyhow, are there any specific sites good for information on surf fishing? Casting distance needed, weights, line, you know, just the how to stuff. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Tight Lines
DG

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
are there any specific sites good for information on surf fishing?
If you are reading this, then you are at your best resource for info.

Depends on where you fish and what you target. Let's say, for example, that you target summer panfish (croaker, spot) from the bay, inlet or ocean - an 8' spinning outfit will be a good starter rod. It should be able to toss 4 oz plus bait.

Before you ask about distance, find out on how to read the beach. The fish may be closer than you think.

Sinkers - Pyramid sinkers for all around use for bottom fishing. Depending on the current, use the weight that will 'hold bottom'.
Line - Should match your rod and reel. Anywhere from 12#-20#, again, depending on what you target. Mono is good unless you're fishing alot of structure where you'll need to use some type of braided line.

Since you'll be hiking over dunes, a backpack/chair works great. Wally World has some of them. You just pack your stuff in the chair and put it on like a backpack.

I'm sure others will gladly throw their 2 cents in.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Ok, well there may be one or two other sites that provide great info for fishing the NC waters, right Drumdum. :)

Red Drum Tackle, Frisco Rod and Gun and OBX Angler provide daily fishing reports and have a forum with alot of the same fishermen/women that are on here.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We're in PA and will do most of our fishing this summer near the Chesapeake, but I'm really interested in learning how to fish in the Atlantic when we come down for a week this summer to OBX. We are staying in the southern part of Corolla. Anyone surf fish there specifically?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
another good site is Fishmojo forums these guys know what they are talking about when it comes to nc coast.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
I assume your pier that got blown down was Kitty Hawk? Well,there are others such as Avolon that catch lots of bottom fish,spainish,bluefish,and big fish like cobes and drum as well..
If you could,be a little more specific,as far as what type and size fish? Generally you can use the same tackle that you would use on a pier to catch a fish out of the surf..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drumdum said:
I assume your pier that got blown down was Kitty Hawk? Well,there are others such as Avolon that catch lots of bottom fish,spainish,bluefish,and big fish like cobes and drum as well..
If you could,be a little more specific,as far as what type and size fish? Generally you can use the same tackle that you would use on a pier to catch a fish out of the surf..
No, actually our pier of choice is and always has been Avalon, but fear it will be overrun this summer.

I guess we're just looking to catch some blues and spanish since it will be mid July. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of learning how to surf fish compared to pier fishing. But it's a bit hard to jerk jig in the surf for blues and spanish.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
For casting stingsilvers for spanish and blues in the summer, I use a 9' or 10' spinning setup. The extra length will give you the distance if you need it. If you're used to throwing gotchas from the pier for blues and spanish, it's a little hard to use them from the beach.
Buy atleast two of every color of stingsilvers. They may hit green one day and hit pink the next. I'm a believer of plain gold at sunrise. (My bro outfished me 3:1 one summer morning when I was using every other color but gold.)
Mid July is prime time for spanish on the OBX.
Ideal reels will have a high retreive ratio (more than 5:1). The old saying, "If you're casting for spanish and are catching blues, you're reeling too slow."

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Good info,CH&G.. I'll add this: you should tie about a 18" length of flouro carbon(20 to 30#test) to the end of your line with a double uni or whatever connection you like.. This will prevent as many cut offs. Also the flouro is not as visible as straight mono.. I'm with you,DG,I'm a gotcha plug lover myself. Yes a little more difficult to work than on the planks,but sometimes with finicky spainish,they will outcatch about everything else you can throw..Another rig that can be used on days when they just don't seem to be hitting is to take a trolling sinker,about 2oz attach to your running line,then attach about a 3' length of flouro with a drone spoon attached.. Throw this rig out,(can be a little tricky till you get used to it)allow it to sink to the bottom,reel it up fast,then repeat process this CAN BE DEADLY ;)
Hopefully Avolon won't be as crowded as you think,and you can do "MY FAVORITE" type of fishing planker fishin.. :cool: :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much folks. We fell for salt water fishing while on vacation several years ago and just can't get enough of it. The pier situation in the mid atlantic region is just sad. Let's just hope this year is a better year over all for us than last year. Yikes!!:jawdrop:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I started fishing 2003 in april with not many fish to speak of being caught off of Kure beach pier. May 7th decided to head to Oak Island and try Ocean Crest, between my brother in law and I we landed well over 100 blues and both got our limit of spanish with many more lost. Went through about 15 gotcha plugs, a few spoons, and a few other misc. lures. It was my brother in laws first real trip fishing in the ocean and he had a blast although he lost plenty of my stuff wrapped around the pier :rolleyes: The blues would wait till you got the plug almost to the surface then come up and grab it, he would set the hook to soon and the plug would go flyin. Oh well it was a great day :D

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sharkbite said:
I started fishing 2003 in april with not many fish to speak of being caught off of Kure beach pier. May 7th decided to head to Oak Island and try Ocean Crest, between my brother in law and I we landed well over 100 blues and both got our limit of spanish with many more lost. Went through about 15 gotcha plugs, a few spoons, and a few other misc. lures. It was my brother in laws first real trip fishing in the ocean and he had a blast although he lost plenty of my stuff wrapped around the pier :rolleyes: The blues would wait till you got the plug almost to the surface then come up and grab it, he would set the hook to soon and the plug would go flyin. Oh well it was a great day :D Tim
Where is Kure beach pier and Oak Island and Ocean Crest? Not familiar with those locations.

DG
Tight Lines

·
Registered
285 Posts
Kure beach is south of wilmington just past Carolina Beach, NC and Oak Island is between Yaupon Beach and Long Beach, NC just past Southport, NC :)

Tight Lines

Tim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts