Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Guys and Gals, I need some advice.

I need to purchase 2 new reels (to replace the ones that were stole a couple of months ago). I need your advice cause I have been away for 8 months and I cant go to any of the tackle shops and window shop. I'm looking to spend around $100 +/- each and I want spinning reels. They need to be able to handle 8nBait for the rough times at AI, OC, and 3R. But also plan to use on piers and other calmer areas. They will be used on a 10' and a 12' havey action pole.

I'm leaning toward Okuma or Diawa Emblem (maybe even a bait runner). I also need to be able to get them through mail order so FLF can have them spooled and ready for me in May when I get back.

Thanks all

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I just bought two, the 4500 and the 5500. If it wasn't for this link, I would have recommended the okuma coronado, since it has the bait runner feature and it is a great value for what you pay.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Penn 5600L

Yes, they ARE worth the extra $$.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

I reccomend the Shimano 6500 Baitrunner, but I have to admit I haven't tried any of the newer Daiwa or Okuma reels. My previous big spinning reels were Mitchell 302 and 402 (the "real" Mitchell reels made in France over 30 years ago) and PENN 704 and 704Z. All of these reels may be too small for outerbanks "8 & bait" fishing, but they are great all-around reels for surf, jetty, and pier fishing.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Axon said:
OK Guys and Gals, I need some advice.

...They need to be able to handle 8nBait for the rough times at AI, OC, and 3R. But also plan to use on piers and other calmer areas. They will be used on a 10' and a 12' havey action pole.
I think it's time you moved up to conventional setups for fishing the rough waters...12' is good for the beach but a little too long (and heavy) for the piers and bay...

·
Registered
680 Posts
i would have to gho with smoothbore. the 5600L are very good casting, smooth, excellent drag system,and will keep a big fish. put approx. 100yds of 15lb mono then approx 250yds of 20lb power pro. 250yds of powerpro is all you will need for most fishing on the beach. cost is about $280.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Happy New year all!
I purchased the Penn Live liner.. I LIKE IT.

I like the idea of the wat Penn does their version. Shamamo's baitfeeder engages the front drag once you crank.
Penn you have to manually set the front drag with a flip of the lever. I like this because if you have bait that is coming back to you, you can wind up the extra slack. And the lever you can engage with your pinky. But like all thing. you have to be comfortable with it. I've used it on 8-10' poles.
good luck making a choice.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SandCrab.

I really want to switch over to conventional but I have never used one before and need to learn first before I invest.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Re: Re: Need some Reel advice

Sandcrab said:
I think it's time you moved up to conventional setups for fishing the rough waters...12' is good for the beach but a little too long (and heavy) for the piers and bay...
Sandcrab,I can't agree with you on the length being a little too long for the planks.. I've been fishing with rods over 12 ft for over 8 yrs now,no problem. Most of the folks I fish with have rods over that length.. On the OBX,we all call "heads","fire in the hole","move it or loose it".. :D Back in the day,we had 10ft max rods,nowadays,it's the 12fters. We all take note before throwing the "telephone" poles of today.. :D

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'v got the Daiwa Emblem X6000T that's on a Daiwa 11' rod and just got a Okuma CD-90 baitfeeder reel that I matched up with a OM 12' rod (6 to 12oz).:p

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Need some Reel advice

Drumdum said:
Sandcrab,I can't agree with you on the length being a little too long for the planks.. I've been fishing with rods over 12 ft for over 8 yrs now,no problem. Most of the folks I fish with have rods over that length.. On the OBX,we all call "heads","fire in the hole","move it or loose it".. :D Back in the day,we had 10ft max rods,nowadays,it's the 12fters. We all take note before throwing the "telephone" poles of today.. :D
IMHO - By piers, I am assuming that he is talking about fishing the Chesapeake Bay piers. Rods this length are not really needed there.

For fishing the Altantic piers, I agree that 12' or longer rods are standard business for fishing piers in the ocean - especially when used as a anchor rod for kings.

·
Registered
712 Posts
i would go with either shimano baitrunner 6500b or okuma epixor eb-90 both of these reels fit your needs with the okuma having a larger line capacity.hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts