Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tommy showed me how to do the OTG and I use it exclusively while fishing but with less rotation than a field cast. Say mebbe 210 degrees rather than the full 270 in a field cast. My problem is when I'm in the field and want to use more rotation I ALWAYS throw to the left, mebbe 30 degrees or so. Anytime I get the lead past 210 or so it WILL go left. And that's a PITA because I'm in a narrow field with trees on the left. Got a baseball and some lead hangin' outta trees now. Anyway, try as I might it always goes left. I've tried not stepping so far...looking off to the right rather than down the middle....different drops. I dunno. Any hints on how I can use full rotation AND get the lead down the middle???

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Not a distance caster here but sounds like you need to adjust your timing...

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,349 Posts
Steve

The extra rotation is causing you to come in too early with the power. This will cause you to pull over the top and hence left every time.

SLOW DOWN. In slow out fast.

Give it a try.

Tommy

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Make sure that as you come around your head is up and you punch/pull at a specific target that you picked up in the sky during your setup-- a specific part of a cloud, etc.

I gorundcast and have (at times) had the same issue, except my casts go to the right (I'm left-handed).

Almost every time this happens it was because I failed to look up at my specific target, just coming around and hitting it in the general direction won't cut it-- be precise in your target and set up, and you should have your casts going right down the middle. :)

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
One more thing, make sure your finish position has you square (Shoulders,hips,etc.) to the target line. If you take a step during the cast make sure you are not opening up so much (too big a move ) that your body is over rotating and ending up off line to the target. In my avatar you can see that my front foot is planted (I have already taking a step) and that foot is pointed directly down my target line. My shoulders and hips are just coming into the hit, and at finish should be square with my front foot.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, that certainly gives me some stuff to think about. It feels like I'm going in slow but mebbe not. And I'm sure I sometimes throw it up in the air without pinpointing a target. And I do tend to overstep at times. Wind is blowing pretty good today so it might dry out enough I can try again this evening. Should probably practice with a baseball as they are easier to get outta them blasted trees...

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
i havent been casting for too long, but my first thought was to build speed slowly so you can be really accurate when you punch it, and be more grounded and solid before the arms come into play, because those things helped me immensly with the same problem, and others.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'm new to this too but I found if I follow the basics and don't try to put too much power into it AND keep my eye at about 45 degrees to the horizon I do ok. Maybe not great but very close to down the middle. I know that distance will come with practice so as long as I'm in the middle and not getting backlashes I'm moving in the right direction.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Much better this evening. Still got three squirrels and a pine cone :p . Mebbe it's just me, but if I don't put quite as much rotation in it works pretty good. Last dozen casts were nice and long and straight down the middle.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All fixed. Thanks for the inputs, guys. Special thanks to Tommy & Surf Cat for reminding me of the fundamentals :redface:. Ya really can't expect to cast well if ya don't pay attention to the basics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.