Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I usually fish down in the Norfolk/VA Beach area and I just recently moved to College Park MD. (My dad had a heart attack a few months ago and I'm trying to keep him company.) Anyways, I want to take my Dad fishing but I don't know where the good spots up here are.

If someone can help me out, I'm looking for a good pier, that is within a 2 hour range of D.C. Somewhere, where I can pick up some bait, meet some people, CATCH SOME FISH, and spend some quality time with my dad- CATCHING SOME FISH.

Also if you can indicate, what we might catch, what time of day we should go, how to get there, and what bait we should use, that would be most appreciated. Thanks guys, and I look forward to your replys.

Fishfan :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sandy Point State Park- right off rt50, last exit before bridge. Just take 50 E from 495. Blues, stripers, perch, spot, croakers, sometimes cats and possibly trout? Some of the regulars will post up with the structure and current biters. Hasn't been great lately though.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Matapeake is a pretty nice pier just over the bay bridge on the Md eastern shore. You can catch blues, spot, perch, striper and I am sure others. Try to fish right around high tide. 2 hrs before and 2 hrs after should be best.

SP is nice but it is really only a large beach with a few jettys. It can be difficult to fish in certain spots with the strong current. I often use 6 oz to hold bottom.

Hey Bitterchild, you been fishin' lately?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The Choptank pier is a good one,you have two sides to the pier,the Talbot side and the Cambridge side,the first side is pretty long about 1 1/4 mile and the other side is about 3/4 mile. If you should want to go on the long side then go between light posts 40 thru 45 a couple nice channels there(that's on the Talbot side) the cambridge side from the end of the pier to about the middle is great fishing. Directions is to take Rt.50 over the Bay Bridge toward OC,follow the signs to Cambridge once your outside of Cambridge you'll see a couple of signs Choptank pier(it's a left hand turn)just before the bridge,if you decied to go to the Cambridge side then you go over the bridge and as soon as your over look to your left and you'll have a parking lot(you have to turn around and come back. Bait shop just before the Kent Narrows bridge(exit 40) make that right into Island fishing & hunting shop. TRIGGER

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The Choptank is a good spot to go;Cape Henlopen Fishing Pier is good too but an hour longer to get to.Directions to get to Cape Henlopen go East on 404,keep going on it into Deleware.Next turneast on Rt 36 follow allthe way to Rt 1;keep going till you get to the light for the State Park wich is right by the WAWA;ypur going to make a left there;then make another left.Keep going;cross the bridge;make a right.Follow the road down then you shouuld be at Cape Henlopen.;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
No fishing for bitterchild

Reddog,
School is kicking my ass so I haven't gotten a chance to get out. Doesn't keep me from hearing the surf in my head all the time though. Something about going from fishing 12 hours a day, 5 days a week to nothing. Think I'm going through withdrawal.:( As soon as I get some decent reports I'll be out on the bay to try some razor clams though:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts