Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've fished there twice so far, Strike two!but no need to go there.. Since I have no one else to ask any questions when i am there cus for some reason when i go there i can not find anyone... I just tried under the bridge on north side. Lost bunch of sinkers among rock piles.... numerous cast with all kind of lures with no strike...
Where do you guy fish and how do you guys fish when you are at IRL....help needed....
I am trying to dodge strike three.. :D

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Here's some info that I had posted previously:

The bucktail/white worm rig that I use is made like this:

Attach a 1 to 2 oz keel-type or inline trolling sinker to your main line end snap.

Next I cut a piece of 50 lb leader material to 24". To one end of this I tie a 50 lb test swivel with a cinch knot (my favorite). The other end is attached to the bucktail via a loop knot or king sling knot which is explained in the How To section on this site under knots. http://www.pierandsurf.com/knots/kingsling.shtml

The bucktail should not be any larger than 1/2 ounce on which I attach a 4" white rubber worm. Yellow worms are popular too. Any color can be used. I heard of some using pink for trout.

Attach the swivel to your mainline snap and you are ready to rock-n-roll.

For my setup, I try to make sure that my keel weight and lure weight total does not exceed 2 ounces as that is my rods limitation. I have seen others with a 2 ounce keel and a 1/2 ounce bucktail.

Bottom line - the smaller the bucktail, the more action it will have behind the keel weight drifting in the 7 MPH current at IRI.

My rule of thumb is to fish the North side (CG Station rip) on the incoming tide and the South side (Near the entrance to the expensive houses) on the outgoing tide.

As the blues are in, I would use some metal lures and use a jerk-and-retrieve method. Large rat-l-traps (1 ounce and up) in silver and blue/silver work well too. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
IR is best to drift by boat.

But from shore: To catch Tog, toss out green crabs or chicken on 20 lb test with a 2/0 hook. Let it get stuck in the rocks. The Tog will find it and try to take your pole. Slack tide is a good time to actually cast to the bridge for Tog and black bass.

For Striper, eels, eels, eels, spot, and bucktails (small white with white worms). Best luck has been on a eel rigged with a 1 ounce barrel sinker, toss it out and slowly bring it back.

For trout, use like 5 - 6 oz of lead and plant chicken or peelers out on the bottom.

For blues, use metals or cut bait, had a blue take a 13" croaker and make it 5" there. They love real food.

For flounder, never caught one from shore. Don't Know. Nailed them from boat to 24" on minnow/squid combo on a fluke rig.

Good luck, fish the pockets if they are free for best results, I like the end by the CG station or all the way out on the jetty.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Got-Cha plugs work really well too. Heavy, easy to cast and blues as well as stripers will take them.

When are you going? Looks like I am heading down Mem. Day weekend.

Dave

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thoroughbred;
Now I have some of those plugs and I haven't so far hooked up with a fish. I would like to know which is better.... Plugs with Hair/Fuzz or plain no bait no nothing?
:confused:

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I use the 2 oz GotCha plugs with a single hook with white bucktail hair on them. Stripers and blues love em! The single hook makes it easier to take out of the blues mouth since they seem to swallow all the trebles! ;)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Bluefish. springfield, va. or pa? IRI is a tough place to fish, but rewarding when you get the hang of it. observe and ask questions. most people will answer, unless there is a run. more later but i'm on my way to crisfield for the tour. back sun. late. :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
79 Posts
My experience is I have done better without the hair. Most of my success there has been with red/white and the pink. Red/white the blues just go crazy. One day last year I was throwing small Red/white

while the birds were working the inlet. Never seen the birds in there like it before or since. Caught 10 blues in 11 casts. They were small 13-18 inches but it was awesome. I then switched to the large red/white

and caught a couple more of that (yes I threw them back limit is 10).

I have also used the pink an have caught trout with it there

hope this helps,

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts