Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be starting a charter business next spring, live bait trolling for kings. Need some advice on good level wind reels. Yes i know most people don't use lw reels for offshore fishing, but running charter trips not everyone knows the do's and dont's. level winds will be much easier to maintain and I won't need to do a training course on every trip. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Need one that will hold atleast 350yds of 30+ pound test.

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Look at the Penn reels...

The 309 holds an enormous amount of 30 lb test line and is easy to maintain. Been around forever too...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i would go with a penn 340gti or 320 LD, the 320 doesn't have quite the capacity you want but its a lever drag, which makes it extremely user friendly. the gti models are graphite and are a little nicer than the 309 type reels. The shimano charter special has about the same capacity as the 320 LD, and is basically a TLD with a levelwind. Really if you are live baiting for kings you don't need 30# test on a boat, most tournament and charter guys only use 15 or 20# to live bait for kings. With a properly set drag you can also catch white marlin, cobia, small yellowfins, and african pompano on these setups.

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
I'd also go with the Penn 309's. They last forever and anyone can use them. They'll hold 350 yds. of 30# and will only set you back about $60.00. Next in line is the Penn 330 GTI which has the same capacity but cost about $100.00. Again this is a proven reel. One thing I never liked about charter fishing is that they never had any left hand retreive reels. One my boat I have a couple of the Penn 320 GTL which is a left hand retreive. To get the line capacity I back spooled it with 30# dacron and finished off with 400 yds. of 30# Power Pro super braid. This reel runs around $90.00. Hope this helps.

Catman.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hey ! ! !

I'm the guy who's supposed to advocate PENN REELS.

I guess you guys are getting the message.

You really can't beat the 309's for your intended use.

I'd stay away from the Lever Drag reels for a charter boat.

When inexperienced people get excited, they can't seem to leave their fingers off the drag.

With a Star Drag, you've got a chance that the Mate can stop them from from screwing it down too far.

With the Lever Drag, they'll lock up the spool before anyone can stop them.

I've got both kinds of reels on my boat, and have learned this lesson many times over.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the great info. I agree that the lever drag system is nice and user friendly but inexperianced anglers will want to "play" with it while landing a fish. Definately think i'll go with the 309's.

Well as far as the business goes it looks like this spring i'll be in the water and ready to go. Thank God for rich people willing to invest. Small business loans are a pain to get through a bank. Luckily I found the right guy and made the right offer. Now it's time to buy a boat. Will keep you all updated as it progresses...

I think the US Coast Guard needs to put a test center closer to me :D Gotta drive 3 hours next month to SC to take my captains tests. Then off to Raleigh for my for-hire and migratory species permits. Can't wait to get out there and get some people on some fish :D

Tight Lines!

Tim

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
Captain Tim.....Best of luck in your venture. I'll be following your posts. Don't forget your left handed customers. All of us are born right handed but only a select few are able to overcome that handicap.:D Hope there are only tight lines on your boat.:)

Catman.:)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I am yet again at another tough decision. '95 27' Grady White 272 Sailfish Sportbridge or '85 34' Wellcraft Coastal.

Eventually after the first 5-6 years going to try to save up enough for a NEW boat... but something to get me started and will last a while will work :) Don't think i could get investors to chip in 500,000 for startup costs ;)

Have plenty of time to make the decisions, so we'll see what happens.

Tight Lines!

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts