Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I would like to try some salt water fishing this year. This will be the first time for me in years. I used to fish the York River, around the Coleman Bridge for spot and croakers, that kind of thing years ago. At the time I used to use the same tackle I used for freshwater bass fishing, and had a ball, however at the time it seems my bass tackle was a bit heavier that it is now. Any suggestions on what would be a good rod for this type of fishing? I'm in pretty good shape for reels still. This isn't going to be something we'll do a lot, just sort of a change of pace for us from spinnerplugging for bass.

·
Registered
164 Posts
A 7' fresh water "crank bait" type of fishing rod loaded with 15lb test would work. This rod would be good for light bottom fishing and casting lures.

For heavier work a musky type rod loaded with 20lb test would be good. This rod would allow you to thow heavier lures and weights for larger fish. For bigger fish such at large red drum the musky rod would probably work, but its length would limit your casting distance.

For casting distance and power to overcome large fish you're going to have to get into a heaver.

Hope this helps.

Lou

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
After reading your other post about Ed's Marine it sounds like you'll probably be doing this out of a boat, and if you're targeting the spot & croaker size fish you should be good to go with the fresh water gear.Take a net and enjoy the sport of light tackle. Now if you want to turn some of those fish into live bait you may want to get a bigger outfit in the 20lb.+ range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right. We'll be doing it from a boat. I used to a my "worm rods" and they did fine, but over the years, a "worm rod" has evolved into a lighter, more limber rod than the broomsticks we used to use. I've got a couple of what are called "med/heavy" rods that should be able to handle the weight of the sinkers I seem to remember using way back when. Two to three ozs seem about right? Seems we used bloodworms and strips of squid mostly for bait. About what time of the year can we start to look for this kind of fishing to start up in the river say around Yorktown?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Hay Cajun, If you want to keep your cost down, and get something that will work well on a pier try the Salt Water Synergy combo made by Shakespeare. they call it a striper combo; but, I doubt that it would handle anything over 25 lbs. It runs $24,95 at Wal-Mart and comes loaded with 20lb line. I use one and its great for easy casting, has a great drag system and is just the right length for pier fishing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts