Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting away from mono for the spring Striper run. Not a huge braid fan but I'm loosing way too many expensive topwater plugs..Using on Baitcast reels..

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
439 Posts
Not sure which are actually round braids, but I've used Cortland Master Braid, Berkley Fireline, Gliss, and Sufix 832 on my baitcasters.

Cortland Master Braid is okay. I personally think it soaks up too much water.
Berkley Fireline digs a little bit for me in baitcasters and it doesn't have a round profile, more flat.
Gliss was amazing. Casting distance was ridiculously good. However, abrasion resistance and knotting were issues for me. I've heard the 40lb is good though for BC's.
Sufix 832 was good stuff overall. I liked pretty much everything about it.
My favorite by far but I can't get locally is Japanese Varivas PE lines. Good stuff.

I heard good things about Daiwa J-Braid recently from quite a few people, but sounds like its a thicker version of the Daiwa Saltiga Boat Braid.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ive tried a few different braids over the years and went back to Power Pro because of the lack of issues with it.Being from the north originally,i used it for big stripers ,blues and Weekfish(gray trout).I use 40lb on surf set up and 20lb on small spinners for the boat.Some will say thats overkill,but ive found these weights work well for me in all conditions.(lighter in heavy cross winds had the issues of wind knots,regardless of brand.One important thing to remember is that there is no stretch so on some fish(trout family)let the hook set itself,lighter drag and dont horse the fish or you will rip the mouth of the fish and loose it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
power pro works just as good as spider wire. you should look at how it's braided. 6 strands vs. 8 strands. The more strands the rounder the braid becomes. Lotta people don't like spiderwire because it's flatter. Makes the waves pull it more than the rounded braids if your gonna bait and wait, but you can fit a lot more line. If it's for casting lures then it won't really matter. 15lbs is more than enough strength and small diameter will make your lures fly if you need the distance. I would suggest a braid shock leader, tipped with mono or floro but really not needed. If your gonna throw under 50 yards, go up to whatever lbs line you feel comfortable using.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've used mostly 40-50# Power Pro and Stren Sonic braid on all my spinning reels for the surf, been using these since 04', really like the stuff, no real issues. Never tried it on a baitcaster reel, I'd be interested in what you choose and how it works for you, good luck.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Thinking of getting away from mono for the spring Striper run. Not a huge braid fan but I'm loosing way too many expensive topwater plugs..Using on Baitcast reels..
I put 30 pound power pro on a Abu 5500.

Did not cast smooth at all with light lures, line kept getting hung up. (burying under itself) with heavier lures or bait/sinker it probably would have worked better, but with 1/2 ounce lures it was a problem.

Put 12 pound test Prospec back on, that was the only time I tried braid on a bait caster.

Perhaps a five foot section heavy fluorocarbon leader 30 lb. will help with lure loss.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Also wanted to note that proper line placement on spool is very important.Too loose and overlapping occurs causing problems.Should feel "snug" on spool.Anytime light lures are used(under 1 1/2 oz )there can be slight issues due to less resistance when retrieving causing a "loose " spool of line.I have never used any lighter than 20lb,but maybe a lighter line would work with the light lures...just a thought.The 20lb seems to work fine for me on a spinner with 3/4 oz and up.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Varivas premium braid is my favorite braid hands down. Make sure it's the 8 weave. Has to be ordered online though as most places in the us don't carry it

·
Registered
769 Posts
Just curious. Why switch to braid? How are you loosing lures? If snags, a stronger test (braid) would help. Otherwise, how would using braid save you lures? Thanks - glenn

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just curious. Why switch to braid? How are you loosing lures? If snags, a stronger test (braid) would help. Otherwise, how would using braid save you lures? Thanks - glenn
Not loosing to snags or fish. Most times it's from repeated casting without retying...Looking for better knot strength, capacity and hook up ratio with topwater plugs..

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I like the new 12-weave braids from Daiwa........they also seem to be more abrasive resistant....much more than the 8-weave.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I've used braided spider wire for a couple of years now l like it
X2 - I use it (30# test) on my jetty rods and metal slinging spinning rods. Still use mono for conventionals in the surf...

Sandcrab

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I like fire line and power pro on my spinners but I have power pro on my kayak 7' rod and ABU and have the same problems Garbo mentioned. Kills the distance, line lays against each strain and it seems like it's always trying to catch up with the level wind.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts