Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been talking with a few software/game companies trying to get them to make a pier & surf game. Not some little crappy game, this would cover both coasts of the US, using real piers and beaches for the areas. There would also be a feature in the game that would allow you to take out a headboat fishing for bottom fish and other fish any given headboat/party boat may fish for. Of course there's a catch, You'd have to fish pier and or surf tournaments to make enough money to go out on the headboat/party boat of choice, this is also how you would be able to buy new equipment (rods, reels, lures, ect) for using live bait it would either have to be baught or you have to catch your own.

All the companies thati 've talked with said to make such a game would require a lot of money and they're affraid once it's maid not many people would purchase it.

So what i need to know is how many would be interested in such a game and how much would you be willing to pay for it?

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
:thumbup: from me

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Sounds good. $20 to $30 for comp game and $30 to $40 for other type games.

·
Registered
634 Posts
as a long time computer gamer... i'm sorry to say this game wouldnt make it out of the concept meeting lol.... theres just not enough money to be made in wildlife/outdoors games...only ones that barely scratch a profit are cabella's deer hunter and a bass game or 2.. and usually within a few months they can be found in the "bargin bin" for $5...the computer gaming world is way too competitive for a fishing game....i just spent the last 6 hours playing star wars galaxies...now thats pure crack addiction lol

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I'm also a long time computer gamer

and on this one I would have to agree with Kajun. I've played all the fishing and hunting games and they just don't have the action in them for a long shelf life. If a game dosn't stay on the shelf at $50 a crack and sell well for a year the company will drop the price and cut their loss. With that said, if such a game came out I would buy and play it. As long as it was a quality game with good graphics and could be played online with other realtime players.

How many gamers do we have on here and what do you guys play?.....Tightlines

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i don't play much, but when i do its counterstrike or I play Age of Wonders on LAN

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
That's a good idea but unfortunately, there may be a small target audience for a game like that. If developed however, I would purchase and play. (PC - $20, XBox - $30)

Jillian's Arcade in Norfolk (similar to Dave & Buster's) has a saltwater fishing game. Pretty fun. At the Urbanna Oyster Fest several years ago, the VMRC had a game where you'd get strapped in a fighting chair and could fight a billfish on the large video screen.

Also, Sierra makes one of the best realistic fishing games on the market (Trophy Bass 4).

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i would love to play everquest, just can't pay the subscription fee until i get my own job. (can't see asking my parents to pay for that)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I love playing RPGs and have always wanted to find a good fishing game but I have to agree with Hat. There isn't enough demand for a realistic fishing game that could keep it at a high enough selling price for long enough to make a profit but would buy it if it ever came out.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
shark,
If the game was good quality and realistic, I would pay $30 give or take 5 for it.

Hat,
I like RTS and FPS like Splinter Cell, Starcraft, Marine SniperScope. Also Field & Stream makes a godd hunting game, Trophy Buck. It lets you hunt in 9 different states, with bow, rifle, shotgun, or muzzleloader. You can hunt whitetail or mule deer or you can try the shooting range. Sharkbite, you might try F&S with your idea, the concept sounds alot like their Trophy Rivers game.

Evan

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Sounds like a winner to me I vote go for it.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Sounds like something a game programmer that visits this site could provide and create.
And if the space is right,maybe flea can add it on as a supporter perk.

Hey,you guys don't think all I do is fish?Right now I am on my 7th Season as the Owner of the Jags in Madden 2004.
About ready to rebuild a new stadium..
And my 2nd favorite game is Tony Hawk Pro S8ter 4,but have been too poor to buy Underground(all additional loot goes to the fishing fund fer now...:D )

All the Sony PS2 does is help with my hand-eye,educated thumb co ordination

·
Registered
823 Posts
have to agree with kajun ..... market for the game is not htere

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the great input. May try contacting a few universities that have game design as a course of study to see if they would want to take up the project. I agree there isn't a big market for fishing games however, through studies i've found online, the market is increasing not only as pc games but the handheld versions are gaining in popularity also.

Sierra is the exception to the rule. I still have the original Trophy Bass and as you can tell by the Trophy Bass 4 they can't be doing too bad on sales or they wouldn't continue with the game.

Some of the main points of the game would have to be great graphics, smooth game play, variety of species to target from bottom fish to the occasional sailfish caught off the piers, and online play. I think with all of this said it could hold it's own on the shelf for atleast a year. As I don't see it happening in the near future, it's nice to dream :)

Some of my favorates right now are, diablo II, warcraft III, starcraft, virtual deep sea fishing and I could list atleast 100 others.

Tight Lines

Tim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts