Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be heading toward Virginia Beach with the family in about a week to spend about three days. I've read about the crowds(which I am going to contribute to), the cost of parking and avalibility of parking, and fishing seems to be somewhat slow. My question is is it worth packing up all my gear to fish for a couple of hours a day, or would it be better to come back at a later date when there is less people and better action? I know fishing contributes to the local economy, but I promise you my wife and daughters with make a large contribution.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can check out the local fishing report from Hampton at http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-sports-fishing.htmlstory or the Virginian Pilot report at http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=6577&ran=33197

Those reports might make it easier for you to decide. It depends on how much you like to fish. Fishing has been pretty good . Based on my recent fishing experiences I would try my luck if I were going to be here for three days. Large Croaker are especially plentiful.

You can fish at the Lynnhaven Pier or Harrisons Pier and there is no parking charge. Same is true if you go to the Grandview pier which is close by in Hampton. The parking problems are pretty much confined to the Va. Beach. oceanfront. Check out the Grandview Pier at http://www.grandviewpier.com/ or the Lynnhaven Pier at http://www.lynnhavenpier.com/

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
The best way I can answer this questions is with the word "depends".
Ok with that said what is your target?
Where do you think you are going to fish?
Are you fishing to relax, bring home meat or what?
What are your skill levels?
These are all valid questions.

For example late last Aug the family went down to Nags Head for a few days. I went so far to take the Buggie even though I knew I was not going off road(wife took her Mini Van I wanted 2 for flexability). I brought 2 doz blood worms and 4-6 peelers. I got down there and did my usual tackleshop tour asking if there was anyplace this were hot(I did not expect anything) and I got it is "slow!!!!" as I figured. So the plan went I would beach fish around the family trip and take a day on the pier. The first morning I went out with mini cooler and a small bag(the blue one for anybody who has fished with me) 2 sandspikes and a 8 1/2 foot spinner and a 10 foot convential. I walked across the street from the motel and found a pretty deep hole and caught fish until the wife called me at 9 for breakfast. The highlights were landing a "keeper flounder" in the wash with a local walking by(he was amazed that I caught one that size and I released it) and letting a boy catch his first fish on my rod (the bite was good enogh to ask him if he wanted to) it was a spot of pretty good size. I went to the same place the next morning and caught about the same fish. On the 3 day I went to a pier to pin rig for big stuff. I did not hook up at all(should have been there yesterday) but I had a blast catching Black Drum, Blues trying for sheepshead etc. Saw 4 Cobia 2 hooked up(one mis handled and one under gunned) Over all I had a great time fishing during "slow" times.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Travel a ton, mainly through FLA / MS / SC / AL / NC / GA / DE / NJ and I never, ever leave home without my out of state fishing licenses and a rod/reel and a few lead heads and grubs.

It only took me ONE time of missing a great speckled trout bite in February in Pensacola to learn that there are always fish biting, and you can pretty much always find them, and if you look hard enough and go early enough you can avoid the crowds.

Just got back from Avon, NC myself, and didn't hear anything from anyone except the word "slow" and I tagged flounder all week, and had many a great day chasing Spanish along the beach.

So ... bring your stuff ... and fish early, if you go to a pier mid-week, it will be less crowded, and if you go to a pier, and look down the beach, you can probably find a nice spot all to yourself within site of the pier where you'll catch something and not have to pay for a pier-fee.

THROW SOME / MORE / MOST / ANY / MAYBE A FEW BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
2 Posts
I couldn't imagine going to the ocean without my fishin stick. Even if you don't catch anything there is something special about being in the surf with a fishin pole at sunrise.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Go to the Pier at Sandbridge between 7 and 11pm. There is no one there to collect for parking after 7 and it's only $3.00 to get on the pier.

I've never been to Sandbridge without catching something!

Hunt for bloodworms to bring with you.
If all else fails get squid and nightcrawlers at Super Wally World.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts