Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed down from Ric this weekend. Would like to know what going on at OVP. Saw some reports but they were old.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ocean View Fishing on 7/30/2008

I was at the Ocean View Pier from 10 AM to about 4:30 PM yesterday. Caught about two dozen spot, but also sea mullet, hog fish, a small brown shark, sea robin, sea bass, a 19 inch flounder, and alas, one oyster toad. The flounder hit half a spot that I had out hoping to catch a big ray. The flounder must have know yesterday was still part of the closed season.

Fish Bites (bag-of-worms) and squid were not nearly as productive as bloodworms for the spot, etc. The shark hit cut bait. Some fishermen were using small bits of cut bait on light lines with tiny sinkers to catch bluefish in the 8-12 ounce range. The guy next to me caught a small spadefish on squid and a I saw a stingray around 15-20 lb caught at the end of the pier.

Schools of rays were around the pier all day.

It was HOT, but there was a good breeze. Good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info

Sounds like, with a little weather change, things might pick up. We will head down Sunday at 4AM and keep you posted on the results.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Crabs at Ocean View Pier

The crabbing on 7/30/2008 at OVP did not look encouraging. Crabbers were mostly toward the shore end and I was near the bay end but there didn't seem to be a lot going on with the crabbers from what I saw.

Also, for the OVP fishing report , I should have included in my first post that a week ago today I got to the pier at 2:00PM and left about 8:00PM, catching about three dozen spot, one croaker, and bluefish that was in the 1.5 lb range. Bloodworms were the best bait again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found out for myself

Got there 6 AM. Slow, slow, slow. A few spot, mini-black sea bass and a few small Blues. Did see a few rays & skates. Nothing to shout about. Left about 11, can't take but so much of a good thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts