Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to be sure that I'm using the best knot possible for attaching my main line to the swivel because I'm going out again this weekend to catch some big catfish (30lb +).

I've been using a single uni knot to the swivel which seems to have been holding up well, but I tied a couple knots for my friend last weekend and he said it broke off at the knot trying to pull in a big catfish.

Is there a knot that everyone here that is more reliable? I'm looking at doing either an offshore knot or double clinch knot possibly?

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Palomar is an excellent knot,unless you have a leader or a bunch of trebles to get through the loop.... Three wrap nail is a gooden.. Improved clinch is also good,unless you're tieing it into braid.. Don't understand the problem some folks seem to be having with the uni knot??? I've tested it over and over and it's about as strong as they come for most applications....

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The clinch knot or the Berkley or double clinch should be adequate. The problem with each is if you are not careful with bigger lb line, the line will get out of line with the knot and get caught up in the upper part of the swivel, then the knot will fail.

You MUST make sure the knot slides up the line toward the swivel and a loop does not get awry. I just make sure I have the line and swivel taunt when I tie with big ## line and put spit on it to keep it from over heating when you clinch it up.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
With mono, I go with the clinch.. If tied properly, she won't slip. My father and grandfather used it as their go to knot for tuna, white marlin, wahoo, etc., so i just stick with what I know works... HOWEVER, I might end the three generation trend now that I know Shark123 ties the same knot:rolleyes:!!!!LOL(Just jokin youngin)

With braid, I usually run with a palomar knot... Also, if you double up the line, you can tie a regular clinch knot with the braid...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.