Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all P&S members:

Heres the deal folks. The residence of North Beach are blaming the fishermen for the noise and trash problems on the pier and the boardwalk.

The fact is most of the noise and trash comes from their on people and children. They party out there all the time and race their cars up the strip at all hours keeping the waterfront residence awake at night and we are getting the blame.

Last month at a town meeting a motion was voted on and passed by the residence to close the pier from 11:00pm to 6:00am. On July 1st they will close the pier to fishing at these hours.

A petition is being passed around the pier to stop the closing but we need more help!

Below is a statment to boycott North Beach Md. if they close the pier. Please copy and past this statment into your e-mail program. Add your name, address, phone number and e-mail address to the list and send it to Mayor Mark R. Frazer at [email protected] or print it out and snail mail it. Send a carbon copy to me at [email protected] In the next day or so I will do a (BOYCOTT NORTH BEACH) webpage and I would like to add your names to a list on the page.

When the page is completed I will send the URL to Mayor Frazer and submit it to all search engines. I've used this tactic before and it works well, there is power in numbers.

Thanks in advance for your help, we really need it...Clyde Blake (AKA) Hat80

Boycott North Beach Maryland

Mayor
Mark R. Frazer
Phone: (410) 535-2011 or (301) 855-6681
Fax: (410) 535-6344
Town Hall: P.O. Box 400 Chesapeake Beach, Maryland 20732
E-mail: [email protected]

Dear Mr. Mayor,

We the following will boycott the public pier, beach and all business in North Beach Maryland if and when the town of North Beach starts closing the public pier from 11:00 pm to 6:00 am, or any other hours. We will tell all our fishing friends and their families to do the same.

Furthermore we who possess a season pass want all paid monies refunded because the passes were bought before the public pier closing issue was brought up.

The town of North Beach Maryland is breaking the contract entered here into. The public beach and pier passes were bought with the knowledge that the entitled have the right to fish or use the beach 24/7 during the year.

It’s no secret the town of North Beach is more than 2.5 million dollars in the red. This boycott will have serious impact on the economic situation of the merchants and business in your town.

We would ask that you postpone the July 1st closing of the pier and look at an alternate solution. Closing the pier to night time fishing is not the answer to your problems...Thank You

Clyde D. Blake III
1011 S. Edison St.
Arlington, Virginia
22204-3220
Phone: (703) 671-0622
E-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On Monday morning

I will post a list of the P&S members that supported this issue. Ask yourself, how will it look to the membership when your name is not on this list? There are allot of the active members that have not replyed to this request for help, it's very disappointing!

If you did reply but think you may have forgot to carbon copy me please send me a e-mail with your contact info. I will post it to the list on P&S and the webpage...Thanks, Hat80

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi all, if the Mayor sees only 10 emails threatening to boycott North Beach, I don't think he's gonna take the threat seriously. We definitely need more P&S members to participate more. I will add myself to the petition list.

Regards,

GF

·
Registered
171 Posts
I never like that pier in the past but I guess it's wrong time to bitch about what had happen in the past...I wrote to major already and hope more fisheman can hump in to this band wagon.:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
You've got mine HAT80. Keep up the good work!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I sent one email to both the Mayor and to Clyde:

Gentlemen:

NBP "Disarmament Talks"

This situation sounds like it’s out of control and getting worse by the day. It might be good to call a cease fire so both sides can talk before any action is taken by the town that will create a reaction from fishermen and that in turn will cause a cycle of action and reaction.

Other piers, towns, and locals have faced this situation before. So have fishermen. There are solutions.

The town resources are not up to the 24/7 policing task. But do they need to be? Probably not. The town has what I’ll call "shared collateral resources" it isn’t using, I’d bet on it. The problems seem to be: vandalism, loitering, noise, drunk & disorderly. I think if the town can talk with other law enforcement agencies on an informal "loan basis" the town could get some temporary support from MSP, AA County Sheriff, DNR Police, and possible AA County other assets (like Parks & Recreation). All it takes is a "random presence" by these LE people to make the point that the authorities are regaining their rightful level of control.

Secondly, the fishermen can help by policing their own for starters. But in addition they can be the eyes and ears of LE by acting as a sort of "neighborhood watch" program while fishing. All that takes is a cell phone, a name and number to call and a very loose plan agreed to in advance with the town.

The third aspect of this is to make a financial penalty a reality and seriously enforce it. For example: parking and use of the facilities are one and the same- no parking validation is a $50 fine per occurrence. Vandalism is a fine, costs, and jail suspended and a kind of restraining order against the offender and use of the pier area. Disorderly conduct, public drunkenness, etc are in the AA county code.

The fourth element of this is the civic responsibility of both parties. The locals have a right under the law to the quiet enjoyment of their homes. The fishermen have paid a use fee for the right to use the facilities as advertised at the time of payment and for the duration of the permit. To alter that agreement is to breach a contract, and although the town may be within its rights some reasonable compensation must be paid to the fishermen immediately when their rights are abridged or abrogated.

And common sense ought to be the guiding principle. For starters, please don’t divide the people on our national birthday! It’s a time for coming together. Live and let live for a week.

Then resolve to have leaders like Clyde talk with the mayor over a cup of coffee and a clean pad of paper- maybe down at the Rod & Reel Club for a few hours. Bring a few friends and get a round table. Call it Camelot or Camp David but do it.

Bill Peterson aka Runes

Kent island

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
North Beach is willing to talk

about keeping the pier open. I have some help on this now and we are making some progress. We have made some headway on the problems and are trying to come up with a solution the will meet the needs of both sides.

I've been very busy with this NB boycott and will keep you guys up to date as the info comes in. We still need to keep the heat on the town! So keep those petitions coming in....Thanks, Hat80

1 - 13 of 13 Posts