Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit nb around 9 pm fished until 3am and only 7 croakers most on bloods..yeah guys those day of fulling coolers are behind use I think for the yr.I was near the right corner I did see a nice 15 1/2 incher caught
the few croaker that are around are smaller too.
p.s. Did anybody else see the fight on the pier :eek: both guys left with only ego's no fish [I didn't see anyone catch any ]

·
Registered
254 Posts
There was a fight on the pier! That is why I don't like going to NB. People are too agressive and all they want to do is fight. We are too old to be fighting. How did it start?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I was there last night in the right corner, we got there at 11:30am left about 9:30pm. I had the blue chairs and the Radio Flyer piercart and a cain. No fight while I was there, what time did it happen? The Croakers will return in force when we get a break in this weather. When we get this much rain and wind and the full moon it screws the water and the tides up. Most of the time it takes close to a week for things to go back to normal. Yesterday the tides were three hours off, low tide should have been at 2:58pm it never ebbed until 6:30 or 7:00. Then started to come back in slow! At NBP if the water is not moving you won't catch fish, dosn't matter what kind. Thier starting to get some Spot so the Blues won't be far behind and the Croakers will returne. The bad news is it's gona rain for the next 4 or 5 days, it will be awhile before the bite is back on...Tightlines

·
Registered
171 Posts
I went there twice...skunked once and someone pulled a knife on me for telling them don't curse in front of kids...They were smoking weed in front of everyone too...You are right! I am too old to play RAMBO or The Defender of pier fisherman... :(

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hat80 I think I took your spot you were near George.. right when i got there you were packing up around 9pm..there also were a guy fishing in a wheelchair w/no leggs in the right corner....littlefry This guy was talking about the water he was talking in general when some other guys got smart with him and he got smart back ..words were exchange then one of the other guys sucker punch the first guy. some guys broke it up the first guy packed his gear and started to leave when words were exchange again and fist start flying..the sad part was the first guy had his hand full when the second guy started SUCKER PUNCHING him .

Hat80 I hope you are right about the croakers!!!!!!..it looks like to me there moving up the bay . :eek:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
They claim they are going to clean the pier up this year. This remaines to be seen but last night I did see them stop a guy headed out with two twelve packs. Made him leave, the Beach patrol was out there every thirty mins. It's a nice fishing pier and I would hate to see them close it to fishing. We all need to stand up and tell people when thier wrong or let the staff know. Thats the only way it will ever end! If a crew comes on your block and starts selling drugs on the corner do you turn a blind eye? Not this kid....Tightlines

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Andre, yes that was me. George and Pops are good guys as are alot of the people there. I you check it out you'll see the good guys are on the right side most of the time, thats cause they are there to fish not drink and party. Hope to met you sometime, say hi next time. It's close for me so I'm there two or three times a week. The crazy thing is I've never had a problem there....Tightlines

·
Registered
490 Posts
Any of yuo guys old enough to remember when we called croakers hardheads? and they did not taste very good then. :D

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hat80 ..George said the same thing the fights is always on the left side. The guy getting beating up had a light on his cap and had a white towel over his belt ...Damn he was on the left side too. I like the pier because you can limited[25] out on croakers in last than 2 hours on a good day .I never had a problem on the pier either.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Yeah oldsalt, I'm that old. Back then everybody wanted Spot,Spot and more Spot. I can also remember That the North Beach pier I now fish on was at one time a bar called Uncle Billy's. Thats right many drinks were served from the spot we now cast our lines. Thats all I'm giving up...LOL...Tightlines

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i am surprised that there are not more fights on the pier..I have seen some rough arguments there and when complained to the beach patrol will make a half hearted attempt to take care of the situation..
The local residents there are trying to get the area patrolled regularily by police or get the pier closed completely..
Sometimes I go down to fish but when I see the mess I just give the bait away and go home..I have better things to do than put up with the b.s.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bluefish :(

Rambo Defender of the Pier!!! Wow! Where is this place (NB)? I don't want to happen by this pier by chance and loose my life or take a life trying to save mine.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I like NB. While there are some foul characters there, there are also some very nice people who share their knowledge and life expereiences with you.
The key is to be relaxed. Don't think you have the right to tell anyone how to act (even if you feel you do have that right). As long as you don't say something to someone, they won't say anything back. Thus, no fights.

Granted, I'd prefer a nice pier where the fishing is good and everyone respects each other and gets along well. Unfortunately, I don't know any peirs in MD on the bay like that. I am thinking about trying Romancoke out a little more. I have had little luck at Metapeake and Solomons is just to far (as is PL).

·
Registered
399 Posts
I went to the pier 2 times in late march for croaker. both times were productive. the cooler weather kept alot of folks home. I have heard of problems on the pier in the past so i stay away from there when it warms up.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Just a matter of interest..The local residents have or are passing a petition to go to the govenor to either regulate the pier or close it ..They say that they are tired of the language, drinking, and the garbage that is left over. They want a place to take their families and relax and at the present time they are afraid to..This includes what is done by the local population too..A lot of the locals use this as a hang out and they want it stopped..A few with smaller boats want to be able to come in and out of the slips with their boats..
Should be interesting..

Note::The slips are open to boats now and the boats have right of way on the ends of the pier. Should one try to come in all lines in that end of the pier will have to come up.. I saw two boats 18' whalers in today..

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
no doubt they are taking advantage of the local commerce--spending lots of money. That was why they built the slips, wasn't it?

·
Registered
254 Posts
This is a very nice place to fish. I don't know why some folks have to mess it up for everyone. This is sad. But I don't blame the residence for wanting it to stop. The language is terrible and loud, which probable comes from the drinking. That is why I stop going.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think there is somewhat of a simple solution to half the problems..............when you pay to come on the pier, let the check the coolers for beer, liquor or whatever forms of alcohol that is being brought. This would eliminate most but not all drinking. From what I read, hear and see, it seems like having someone of authority patrol the pier more often would be a big help.

As for the residents complaining, I don't blame them but they also have to be willing to admit that during the warm months there are locals, mostly kids, walking around making noise; dragsters going up and down the streets. I am not mentioning this to push the blame away from the people on the pier because it can be very unruly but if you complain about one, you have to be ready to complain about all.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I agree with FishFry on all points. That being said, I don't think the petition would ever pass with the city . From what I understand the town of NB is over 2 million $$$ in the red. They need the money from the pier comming in. Money from the boat slips is zip, there empty most of the time.

I talked to the older patrol man (with the white hair) the other day and he said they are going to clean the place up! I saw them stop people from taking beer out on the pier and add them to a keep a eye on list. I was there from 11:30am until 9:30pm and every 30 mins they were on the pier.

As far as the boats go I don't think that will be a problem. There is not one thing in NB for a boater, I'm one I know. There's nothing on the strip to go to, much less water or electric at the slips. On the right side of the pier the cut to enter the slips is in the center of the Jeddy, all you have to do is tell them. I can see a problem on the left side as far as entering the slips.

When you go there BITCH to the office about the riff raff out on the pier. Lets help them clean it up. Bottom line, it's a great place to fish and needs to stay open. With some work it could be better for all of us...Tightlines

jcreamer, I see you live in NB. Please keep us posted on whats going on....Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts