Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The kids had a half-day at school today, so I conned them into heading to the narrows this afternoon. Stopped by the W side about 3:00 and a couple of guys had nothing doing, so we headed to the East side. Got there as the only other dude brought up a striper just past jailbait and he left, so we had the place to ourselves for a couple of hours. I was throwing plugs and teasers, my 7yo girl was tossing a 1/4oz jig w/perch strips and my 5yo boy was amazingly enough not giving himself pierced ears with a 1/0 Gat hook w/1/16 oz bullet - freshwater stuff (I let the kids pick their rig) - and the only thing brought up was, of course by the boy. Only a 14' dink, but a heck of a lot more than the bream he's used to. Much excitement, much bragging about being the new fisher-god from the lad.

Things got more complicated when we were getting ready to drive back to DC around 5:30, as the kids locked the key in the car. Made lemons out of lemonade while waiting for the locksmith - got dinner at Anglers (crab bisque to die for) and got back to fishing about 6:30. By then, the rocks were slamming a couple of yards north of the new bridge shadow, but there were a couple of folks monopolizing the limited casting space - including a father and approx. 10yo daughter who would reel in anything he set the hook into, and our girls became fast friends.

They landed a couple of barely legals and one really nice maybe 24" rock on what they called "fake yellow-bellies", then left. There was another fellow fishing from right on the shadow line, but I didn't catch what he was throwing. He didn't catch much with whatever it was either, but was very nice and invited me to join in the casting rota. I'm not sure if he decided to bag it because he wasn't getting much, or because I, distracted by my boy running around with a turkey feather (why do we buy hundreds of toys for these tykes, then have them only play with the most rediculous things?) almost speared the guy after forgetting to open my bail... :rolleyes: If this was one of you P&S folk, please accept my heartfelt appology.

Checked out Masapeake on the way home and locked into a few dinks on a 4" Storm in just a few minutes out at the very end of the pier, but had to get home to put the kids to bed.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Thanks for the report

I love taking the kids with me anymore. The good thing is that if we catch a "blitz" of big-uns we can take em home. My girl (11yrs) loves reeling em in and her twin (boy) loves taking em off the hook!:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, despite their complete freakout at locking the keys in the car ("we're never going to go home - ahhh!!!") they both want to go back.

Let me ask any and all: how do you all handle the limited productive fishing space when you stage these Wednesday night Narrows get togethers? I'm used to fishing "secret" freshwater holes or the Jersey beach and am not really up on the etiquette...

thx
C

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Sounds like a fun time. The little one must have loved catching a fish as big as his arm!

As to etiquette: First off, make sure your casting skills are up to par. You'd be surprised how many people you can fit into a tight spot when everyone's throwing lures and people know how to place a cast.

Second, it's usually considered bad form to fish bait there when the stripers are running. One or two bait lines out can stop all the lure fisherman from doing anything, whereas if everyone sticks to lures you can fit double or triple the number of people into the spot.

Usually the rock can hold two people. The bulkhead to the left can hold a few more. In between the bridges you can fit another four or five folks, and the other side can only take a couple after they put up the barbed wire fence.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx SF -

Yeah, we only fished bait while we were the only ones there.

My experience on Jersey jetties is that the guy at the head of the line would cast his plug out and let it drift out, then step aside to retrieve it then the next guy would go, and so on. Otherwise it would just be chaos. The Narrows E side is definitely cramped at the shadow line to the right by the fence, and there's not a lot of room to maneuver like that, though we had five pluggers/jiggers stacked up at that end and narry a tangled line...

I did stop by the W side on the way out and there was definitely more room, but the breaking fish were over on the E.

And BTW, let me add my praise and thanks to the many others about your excellent site!

C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts