Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got down there Sunday about noon and fished on the pier untill 8pm or so. We were catching nice mullets off of the end of the pier as fast as you could reel them in. I tried plugging but it appears the nice sized blues have left. Also caught several under sized flounder. They were catching very nice black drum and puppys in the wash. Monday some spots moved in and the mullets continued to bite. This morning I got out in the surf and tried for some trout. Seems like all of the surf fishermen caught trout but me. Several of them going about 4/5 pounds. I ended up with one under sized flounder. Everyone, including me, were using red and yellow mirolures. A guy standing not 20 feet from me caught 5 trout. I must be doing something wrong. He and I had exactly the same lure. Humbling experience. Tucked my tail between my legs and headed to the house. I'll get em next time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
What are you calling a mirro-lure? Isnt this a fast-retrieve lure? And where can I get one (or more) in red/ yellow? I have a red-faced (don't know the #) lure made by mirro-lure that I heard would catch trout, and I tried it on PI a couple weeks ago, but never even got a nibble! What I used was a hard-plastic minnow shaped lure with 2 treble hooks. I did however catch trout on DOA shrimp by bouncing it through the surf!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the same lure but the ones I use have 3 sets of trebles. They sell them at Seaview pier. I also tried a curlytail jig. Talking to one of the guys that was doing well on the trout it sounded as if I wasn't getting deep enough with my mirro-lure and was maybe working it too fast. Surf was a bit rough.

·
Registered
142 Posts
medicdave

Dave, I wasn't there but I expect the mirrolure being used was the 52MR or TTR. There are many colors with about 4 or 5 being famous for trout, not sure which one is the white/yellow (?). Everyone has their favorites. Do a search in this forum and there is lots of info on mirrolures and the colors to use.

52MR and TTR are the same size. TT means tiny trout which means it is spotted or speckled. R mean rattler. The same lures are avaliable as 52M or TT. All of these have 3 treble hooks (I wish they did have 2).

Check out the mirrolure website.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Hot Mirrorlure right now is the 808 or the TT as mudd said. But, the 808 is my go to Mirrorlure on Topsail.

Moon and I were there on Sunday. We ended up with about 16 nice mullet, a dozen mid-size spot, 4 nice black drum, 2 speckle trout and a lot of other toss backs.

Was a good trip and a really nice day.

Fresh shrimp and Real blood worms are the ticket

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looked up the miro-lure web site and found out the lures are designed to sink at a rate of 12" per second. They recomend letting the lure sink to the desired depth, giving it two or three twiches, and then letting it sink again. I was almost certainly fishing my miro-lure too shallow. I'm more used to crankbaits where the lures metal or plastic lip takes it to the depth the lure is designed to run at. I'll know better next time I fish a miro-lure in the surf.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts