Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few weeks ago i was down at topsail island fishing off of a small dock in the sound/waterway (or whatever it is) there. i was just messing around, nothing too serious and catching pinfish, small seabass (although one keeper), and lizardfish. however, i caught one type of fish that i couldnt identify. the body of it was shaped sort of like a seabass. the skin was brown w/ spots and smooth. it almost had the same skin as a flounder. the mouth was lined w/ tiny teeth, and it had 2 fangs kinda like a trout. the two fish i caught like this were both about 8 or 10 inches long. until i caught this fish, i thought i was pretty familiar with most of the inshsore fish in NC waters but this one baffled me. can anybody identify the mystery fish?

·
Registered
823 Posts
i agree with fisher....could be a sea robin....hard to tell without a picture

·
Registered
823 Posts
any other action going on down there? any king action on the big piers?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it definitely wasnt a searobin. i've caught plenty of those before. after looking at the cunner, i'm sure it wasnt that either. i'm thinking it was a small grouper. the fangs really werent huge or anything, just small teeth right there on top the mouth. it sort of looked like a trout's fangs scaled down a bit (it was enough that i wouldnt stick my fingers in there to get the hook). between reading your opinions and reading books, i'm starting to be certain it was a small grouper. hey! it was my first grouper!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts