Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Thanks Joey,
I have caught some nice bass from that pond..
The last time I was there the pond looked very dirty and covered with vegetation.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Sounds like fun. I want to catch one. Where is this pond exactly? Just kidding.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Maybe that is the trick to catching fish in the bay - use a bobber!

Sandcrab

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Husky,
It's in Crofton. You might want to hook up with jcreamer. He's familiar with this pond. This might not be the fish from a couple of weeks back. It's a lot larger than the original 18 inches posted in the report. And this angler might win a $100 gift certificate to a tackle shop. hmmm...What do you say John? :cool:

Sandcrab,
Isn't that called topwater? j/k

Ever try catching white perch on light tackle using shad darts/grass shrimp and a bobber on the bay? :D What a blast! Especially when you get a double. Watch out now! :p

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Maybe he was "walking the bobber"....

I could use the $100...

I have caught white perch on my ultralight rod, 2 lb test, using shad darts (yellow is best) like you said. Even funner when a small striper takes the shad darts (white ones) and makes a run with it! Go stripers!

Sandcrab

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
This strange fish looks alot like a Bowfin and they do live in rivers and in lakes,I was looking through different web sites and found this article with pictures of the Bowfin(www.gen.umn.edu/facultystaff/hatch/fishes/bowfin.html) Fishes of Minnesota-Bowfin. TRIGGER

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I also noticed the first article referenced in this string of posts says they can grow up to 18 inches long and the anglers that caught it and threw it back said it was around 18 inches long I believe. Well 24 and 18 are very different in size.
Also, the picture of the fish he is holding doesn't really look the fish posted in the wanted poster.
Different fish? Or is this proof there are indeed more than one in the pond?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I once saw a marbled snakehead (also known as an Asian Snakehead) in a pet store that was three feet long and had to weigh over ten pounds. I've had snakeheads grow from 4 inches to a foot long in a 55 gallon aquarium in just one year. A rule of thumb is the bigger the body of water, the bigger the fish will grow. These fish are piscavores: they eat any other fish that fits in their mouths. The DNR has reason to fear them. Still, I wouldn't mind hooking one...

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Husky You have a private message.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Today, Friday morning before 12 noon you may be able to catch a repeat of the LNC morning newscast on cable channel 5 that talks a little about the snakehead fish and the efforts to contain those in the area.
What was the person who released those first two fish into the water thinking about? Even worse why the heck would they now want to come forward with this? Of course it gives info as to how long the fish have been there. Well I guess a late conscience is better than no conscience at all.
I'LL TAKE PREVENTION ANY DAY OVER THE CURE! :mad:

·
Registered
164 Posts
No matter the consequences, we as a nation need to learn to confess our faults. It's the harder thing to do, but the right thing. Besides, the information from the one responsbile is helpful in dealing with the problem. Now we all know not to release non-native fish into our waters. Lesson learned. Let's move on to fishing. :)

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The link in the July 11 above post by HuskyMD states that no charges will be filed against the two responsible (or should I say irresponsible) individuals because the 2 year statute of limitations has run out. There should be exceptions to every rule. Seems deliberately putting the echo balance in danger should be that exception.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts