Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to Myrtle Beach this June (13-20). I love to fish in the ocean, but I am a novice. I usually go to Ocean City Maryland, so I am not totally new to Ocean Fishing. What are the best places to go. Best charters. Best bait. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Been twice at Dick's down in Murrells Inlet. Once for a half day, not much except small sea bass, and once on a full day, to the continenal shelf. Lots more fish and lots bigger. there are tons of coupons in the coupon books at area motels and campgrounds. these are charters with alot of people on the boats, electric reels etc. not much sport to it. if you drive down to Murrells Inlet there are smaller boats that you can charter as well. never done it but probably more fun. Dick's also rents pontoon and fishing boats. my daughter and her boy friend rented one last year and fished the area around the jetties. they caught alot of fish and had a great time. i have seen people coming back to the campground after going to a charter in little river with a huge cooler full of red and silver snapper. google charter fishing in myrtle beach, it should give you a ton of info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
if you don't mind driving up to little river, check out longway charters.

www.longwaycharters.com

i have gone out bottom fishing with them, and have gone shark fishing off the coast of NC with them, both times we had great success. If you are looking for fish to keep and eat, then I advise you to do the 10 hour bottom fishing, if you are just looking for a good fight, then I would do the 8 or 10 hour shark fishing trip. Either way their rates are reasonable and they are very laid back, bring as much beer and food as you want to, they really don't care. I have never been with these other guys but one of my friends knows the owner of Just One More, they are located in Murrells Inlet, and they are geared more towards trolling for Mahi and bigger sport fish, and he has had great luck every time he's been out with these guys. Hoped that helps a little bit.

June is a good time to go out, another reason why I like Longway Charters is there boat is covered a little bit in the back, so you are not constantly in the Fun SC Sun for the full 10 hours.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've made a number of extensive reports on fishing with catptain dick's in murrels inlet in the past, feel free to search them out.

the short version is: take the continental shelf trip, bring your own gear if you have something to fish 40 lb test, get there early to pick your spot on the boat, take a rag to tie onto the rod that you want to use to "mark your spot."

anytime that I go to MB i fish with them, I have fun and catch fish regardless of who is on the boat, jerks, idiots or bikini girls its all good for me. just don;t take things to seriously and you will get some fish. be nice to the mates, they are good guys.

the nest time I am down I am going to rent a skiff from captian dick's and fish the inlet, bring a minnow bucket and get some livies at perry's bait or catch some if I can, and I am going to go fish the area around the jetties. many times on the trips i take we watch bluefish smashing bait along the sand bars out by the jetties!

good luck
jerry

·
Registered
22 Posts
Also check Captain Smiley's up in Little River. It's a private charter. He will take you into the inland waterway's tidal creeks and streams and also out to the jetties. I took my wife the last time we were there and we had a blast. Patrick is a great Captain, and one heck of a Fisherman. He has a website, just google Capt. Smiley's.
Have Fun!!

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
I heard that any of these boats are good:

http://www.littleriverfleet.com/index.htm

villagerecorder on here also has his own boat. Can't remember the name of it but I'm sure you can search for it.

Britt
We're planning to give Captain Pete a holler next year (villagerecorder). We were going to last year, but had to cut our trip short. I've spoken with him on the phone a couple of times, and he's a really nice guy (and as trips go, reasonably priced).

I hadn't heard about Captain Smiley's. Thanks for that info.

Britt gave you some good info here, too. My wife, daughter, and I took a boat on that fleet two years ago, and we did pretty well on sea bass and gray snapper on one of the half-day trips out of LR. My advice, though: take some bait in your pocket. :) My wife got aggravated with me because I spent out too much money on bait, but then she wound up winning the "pot" for the biggest fish that day! As I recall, I got the bait money back, and we wound up making a stop at the Aignor factory outlet on the way home. I was SURE we could have used some new fishing gear, but that's how that $hit goes sometimes, I guess! HA HA

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
show off ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
site

My website needs to be done again, Im just not sure its worth it unless to spend the cash on google placement but its http://allboutfishin.com/

The phone book in the area hotels seems to be the way to go verses websites, most of the charter guys I know say the web doesn't justify the exspense

Im at marlin quay marina now, you would be surprised how many walk ons you get from having a good slip

:)

·
Registered
348 Posts
hey pete,

looks like you offer some good trips/prices, and it seems you know where to find the beeliners!

next time i head that way I'll try to round up thre other P&S members for a trip.

cheers
jerry

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
for the vote of confidence, We have to try the pompano spot from the boat this season, Im at Marlina Quay now, All you have to do is cross the street ;)
look for me, on the beach, splashing 4oz. weights beside your boat.

·
Registered
137 Posts
inshore

Im polite, I dont fish on top of people :) , I think there is a 200 yard, or feet restiction from the beach anyway, it changes form town to town along the shore, a guy got a $175 fine last year for fishing to close to the beach, I think it was in GC. From what I heard they distance lazerd him, waved him over, he swam to shore and was ticketed on the spot. Im not sure I would handled it that way

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
200 yds........ my mag elite has 200 yds in her, I would back of to 500 or 600 yds, especially if Wayne is on the beach...;)

that sucks about the ticket, I would have not swam to shore however.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.