Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have never fished from the beach at Myrtle Beach but will be down there Friday afternoon til Sun afternoon Nov 14-16 for my daughters softball tournament. Long range forecast looks ok, so I thought maybe I would soak some bait and cast some lures early am and evenings. I don't really want to fish off a pier, would rather just spend some time on the beach. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Bait of choice, fish to target, and where to castnet some bait would be awesome.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mullet is a good bait choice or shrimp. The mullet have been hit or miss in the surf lately. Fish 2 hook bottom rig with shrimp or cut mullet. Expect to catch whiting, weakfish, blue and if your lucky red drum. Try to stay away from springmaid pier and 2nd ave pier area. They are dredging the ocean and its killing the fishing in these areas. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Ditto on what Jawbonez says. Where in Myrtle will you be staying? If you are more south, with a short drive, I like Pawleys Island or Murrills Inlet, plus there are plenty of seafood and bait shops in MI, not to mention places to net bait.
Fresh is Best!

Have been there in Oct. when Trout and Whiting where coming up two at a time as fast as you could get you hook wet.

Good Luck and send us a report when you return.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I know you don't want to fish piers but unless you go to pawleys or murrells inlet I would fish garden city pier. This would save alot of driving and maybe no fish. Just my 2 cents on the matter but either way enjoy!:fishing:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hey Danman, does GC pier still have the bar at the end? Makes it a little crowded in the late afternoon and evenings. But it sure comes in handy when the fishing's slow!:beer:

Last time I was there, you had to reel your catch in fast so the sharks wouldn't hit it:eek:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey Danman, does GC pier still have the bar at the end? Makes it a little crowded in the late afternoon and evenings. But it sure comes in handy when the fishing's slow!:beer:

Last time I was there, you had to reel your catch in fast so the sharks wouldn't hit it:eek:
The bar is still there. The sharks have seemed to move out with the cooler weather at least I havent had trouble losing my fish to them lately. Had a real problem in the summer with bringing in spanish on the king rigs. One day I remember we had 16 spanish on between 3-6 lbs I would say and the sharks got 13 we got 3. That sucks. Well I should say we got 3 and 10 heads. lol:D

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Yeah..the sharks are usually around mb southern piers when the spanish mackerl and blues are running early in the summer....also the blues will hit the smaller fish so its a matter of who is the fastest..:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Myrtle Beach

Thanks guys! I don't know which end the hotel is at but it is on beach. I will google Pawley's Island and Murrell's Inlet this week and get a little plan together for some am and pm fishin. Would love to get some nice Sea Mullet, one of my favorite eatin fish:D Tight lines!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks guys! I don't know which end the hotel is at but it is on beach. I will google Pawley's Island and Murrell's Inlet this week and get a little plan together for some am and pm fishin. Would love to get some nice Sea Mullet, one of my favorite eatin fish:D Tight lines!
2 weekends ago at MB state park pier me and my son cast netted 15 mullet in the 3-5 pound range each. So you may find them.;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.