Pier and Surf Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
You might need to download the king fishing essentials pic and enlarge it. it is a large picture

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
It would be nice to be able to clean the Old Stuff out of this help sticky and streamline it a bit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Info from this site:

This is some of the things that I have found, some of which dates back to the beginning of the SC Forum. I now regret not citing the original posters of the content, as this project originally was just intended for personal reference. If this is inappropriate, I apologize and will not have hurt feelings if it is removed. Since I cannot individually thank every one whom contributed to this by originally posting the information I will extend a generalized and broad thank you to all parties involved. I did however edit out some of the unrelated content in the info, as well as sort by location. Hopefully yall enjoy!

MYRTLE/SURROUNDING: If you need bait go to the oyster shell recycle spot. It's the first turn just south of murrels inlet before you get to huntington beach. It's a hidden dirt road. at the end of the road is a gold mine of fresh bait.

MYRTLE/SURROUNDING: The back side of the point on the Garden city side offers some nice sandbars to catch flounder off of. Also blues and spanish on the moving tides

MYRTLE/SURROUNDING: BTW the backwater right before you get to the Huntington Jetty is really a good place (walking to the jetty it will be in an open spot to your left about 2/10ths of a mile before arriving at jetty). This is basically a small pond that is full of flounder.

MYRTLE/SURROUNDING: Cherry Grove area, Go to 54th avenue north and turn you will reach a landing with a small public pier(free) facing the marsh/ u can fish, crab, and cast net for bait at this spot.

MYRTLE/SURROUNDING: Try fishing the groins in Garden City, coming from Hwy 17 take Atlantic Ave to Waccamaw Dr,(Ocean Dr). turn South in Waccamaw. Look for Pompano Dr.(end of the road) There is public parking there, If you walk three houses North, or five houses South, you will find beach access. Either of these places will put you in the middle of the erosion walls.

MYRTLE/SURROUNDING: For shrimp I like to go to Atlantic Ave. (Garden City) beside Sara J's. I usually pick up the shrimp between the space between the walk-way and the bridge (not a lot of space to throw). If you are walking on the "marsh walk" from Sara J's as soon as you get to the point where the Atlantic Ave Bridge starts the area directly to your left is where I throw. CAUTION!!! A lot of rocks are in that area so be careful or you will lose your net or tear it to shreds. Or you can continue to stroll the marsh walk and throw around the grassy areas in the marsh to pick up some as well.

MYRTLE/SURROUNDING: Whenever you surf fish in North Myrtle Beach, Head down the road to the Best Western Ocean Sands Resort and walk down to the beach, you will find a big open area to surf fish during the day with little to no pedestrian traffic.

MYRTLE/SURROUNDING: -HBSP. One thing I have found about the Huntington side Jetty, right before the jetty to the left is a "run-off" pond. I've slayed some reds and flatties in that small body of water. Typically I throw Gulp shrimp on a Carolina rig or jig head into there and usually catch something.

MYRTLE/SURROUNDING: If you don't want to fish off of a pier you can fish the inlet in Cherry Grove from 53 Ave N. North Myrtle Beach. There's a boat landing and a decent amount of space to fish from. The flounder are biting pretty well up there on mud minnows.

MYRTLE/SURROUNDING: Head to Cherry Grove on N Ocean Blvd, you will find 53rd Avenue N. Go there on the wooden dock, and go all the way to the end. When the tide is going out, cast your net on top of the weedy area. There will be shrimp

MYRTLE/SURROUNDING: If there's a pretty good flow of water coming into that channel between Pirateland and Lakewood at high tide, fish the last two hours of incoming and the first two of outgoing on the Pirateland side with finger mullet (which a buddy of mine called today and told me there are a bunch of them in those lakes right now) and you should do well (flounder and maybe even puppy drum right now if what he told me is correct). You might be right up against the dunes, but throw to the left of the rocks. You might catch flounder and big cats in the "big lake" between Pirateland and Lakewood where the Villas are (the southernmost end of the campground). Try a cigar bobber about 2 1/2 feet deep with mud minnows or live mullet. If you fish beside and north of the paddleboat dock on Skeleton Island, use the same technique. The flounder in those lakes will also tear up a 1/4 oz purple rooster tail with a gold blade, but they are hard to find. For whatever reason, black does not seem to work as well. If you walk to the surf at the northern end of the campground, you might be able to walk north toward the state park and get some pomps.

CHARLESTON/SURROUNDING: If you have your surf gear go to the north end of folly island to the park, walk 1/4 mile to the end of the island towards the light house to the surf, walk about knee deep and cast to kingdom come there is a 60 ft hole out there with alot of fish in it.

CHARLESTON/SURROUNDING: If you take a cast net for bait, try the boat ramp, just to the left as you enter the island. You may get some mullet, or if the time is right some shrimp. Also, if the finger mullet are running, you may be able to pick some up at your fishing location. I usually stop at Cosby's for bait (on the right just before you cross over to the Folly).

GENERAL: I like to fish finger mullet off of the pier. I walk along the rails and slowly bounce the bait straight down all the way up into the shallow surf. I just keep moving very slowly. I think "the bigger mullet, the bigger the fish," even though that is not always true. Once the water gets really warm they can be a little more difficult.

GENERAL: A quick tip, catching got-cha plug/other lures around bunker schools is very good chance to pull some bluefish. While summer blues average about just a foot long, u can catch better 14-17 inch ones from bunker schools (a bluefish needs to be slightly bigger than the bunker they feed on.

GENERAL: On the Grand Strand, you don't want any variety of wind with a W in it. In October, NE should be good, because the fish are moving south and that wind will take them down the coast and bring them in closer. A straight N will take them south, which is not a bad thing. East is pretty good for fishing, but you're casting in to it, and if it's 10-15 all day that can be rough. SE is better in the spring, when the fish are moving up from the south. Wind makes a huge difference. The beaches run pretty much north to south if you look at a map. It gets tricky when you get up to parts of NC where the beaches actually run east to west (Oak Island, Topsail, Emerald Isle)."South East in the spring, North east in the fall.

GENERAL: Its a popping cork about 6 inches above a swivel with 2 feet or so of 30 pound leader(I use fluorocarbon) connected to a jig head w/ gulp or a hook with live shrimp or whatever live bait you want. With live bait I put a small splitshot 6 inches above the bait to keep him down a little. They sell them premade with wire but if you make them yourself, you will fool fish better. Popping corks are a dollar or a 1.50 most places. Some are weighted and some aren't.

GENERAL: Everyone fishes the north (left) side in the fall and south (right) side in the spring with the assumption that fish are migrating north/south and you get first crack at them. Now we know that they don't make a B-line straight down the coast, but still they catch fish. I only bottom fish the surf zone or the T. Never caught crap off the side at any point along the pier. Jigging for Spanish you want to be on the side in as much water as you can get in (usually).

GENERAL: Best bait for flounder is a carolina rigged finger mullet. 1/0 Kahle hook, #20 mono leader, swivel and 1 oz weight. Drag it S...L...O...W...L...Y along the pilings. Wait for the thump and then let the flounder eat for about a minute. Set the hook firmly but don't jerk it.

CRABBING: If you are up for Georgetown go down to Hobcaw Point Fishing Pier. It is just after you cross the Intracoastal Waterway but before get to Georgetown. It is the old bridge for Hwy. 17 that they cut off, there is no fee. Good Crabbing and seen some red drum and blue cats caught there. You can Google map it. Have Porta potties etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
First of all let me say thanks for all the helpful information. As a soon to be new resident from the North I'll say your information is priceless.

Now let me toss a question out as I continue to sift thru my tackle that I will be downsizing before we move to Conway.

I am a dabbling Saltwater fly fisherman, and figure my fly fishing in the MB area will be from shores of tidal rivers and such.

That said is a 9WT overkill for the local species that I might catch in this area or is an 8WT adequate?

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
First of all let me say thanks for all the helpful information. As a soon to be new resident from the North I'll say your information is priceless.

Now let me toss a question out as I continue to sift thru my tackle that I will be downsizing before we move to Conway.

I am a dabbling Saltwater fly fisherman, and figure my fly fishing in the MB area will be from shores of tidal rivers and such.

That said is a 9WT overkill for the local species that I might catch in this area or is an 8WT adequate?
Mmm I have no idea. Our inshore redfish can be from 1-15 lb pounds commonly, and pull quite hard. Trout 1-4 lbs usually can get up to trophy size 8+. Spanish and blues are a blast if you take a boat trip, 1-3 lbs usually and make good fast runs. Maybe that helps.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Skink, you're right about the different rigs for different folks. I learned my rigs back around 1970 from an 80 yr old pin rigger up at ocean Crest Pier. Used to belong to the surfside float fishing association for many years. In April-May in used two #2 2x Eagle Claws about 4" apart, no trailer,simply because I liked to float blues and cobia could be there. Then I switched to #4s for the rest of the year, sometimes #6s if floating finger mullet for big spanish. Malin single strand, 61# test, coffee color. One haywire twist followed by 4-5 barrel rolls. Penn Senator 4/0 with 25# mono. I've seen anything from Penn 309s to Internationals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Exactly the info I was looking for... being a surf fisher from Long Island I wasn't sure I could fish plugs and tins down in the Myrtle Beach area... after reading this I guess I can after all ... what are your fishing seasons like? When does the fishing heat up down there? Early spring? Fall?

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you are near Myrtle Beach, go to the South end. The Pier at Garden City is awesome. Also, Huntington Beach State Park has an awesome rock jetty, it goes way out into the ocean. You can get on some species normally not caught from surf and pier. If you are new to the area, hit these great spots up, the jetty is one of the best on the East Coast.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What a great thread! Makes me proud of my hometown! These recommendations are on-the-spot. Having moved around and travelled a lot in life, locals are too often lock-jawed about helping folks. Makes me proud of my hometown!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good morning. Looking to pick up a decent beach fishing cart. I prefer poly carbonate tires. Really like the Anglers Fish-n-Mate Sr. Looking for suggestions. I will be in the area next week. I will primarily be fishing Huntington Beach. Looking for suggestions on where to shop for a decent fishing carts.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts