Pier and Surf Forum banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thanks, Skink, my "getting older" eyes have had a prob tying the blood knot. I have some braid I what to put on my surfrod & was told to keep mono at the reel end, also told to add a drop of super glue on the knot. great sites from other members on here, thanks for starting it. I'm sure I'll meet you sometime, K

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shad fishing near Myrtle

Got a MB Condo third week of February. I'm wondering what's the closest place a fella in a canoe or kayak could catch American or Hickory Shad? Any suggestions for late February fishing around Myrtle Beach would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Got a MB Condo third week of February. I'm wondering what's the closest place a fella in a canoe or kayak could catch American or Hickory Shad? Any suggestions for late February fishing around Myrtle Beach would be appreciated. Thanks.
Waccamaw river or the waterway are the closest.

They have usually already started running by now if I recall correctly but its a been a long time since I went shad fishing.

·
Registered
255 Posts
When your using artificial lures from the shore, do you use a carolina rig? Is it the same for fishing from the pier?
Another question is about pier manners. No overhead casting right?
I usually use live or frozen bait, but the carolina rig works great with artificial lures like jig head with a grub or other baits.... I use just the jig head and a mud minnow for flounder fishing and the carolina rig also.... on the pier i just under cast mine over the edge of the pier rail, I have saw people over cast when there's no one close to them. :fishing:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm going to be surf fishing the 2nd week of September. What fish are most abundant to fish for? Is it still flounder season that time of year?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
You can print or download the fish ID, creel and size limit charts to your phone and always have the info you need when you fish

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
Just finished this brand new rig chart. Of course its not to scale and every fisherman has his own variations of each rig, but this will help you understand the basic types of rigs. bear in mind that I personally do not use snaps or swivels unless absolutely necessary, ( Carolina rigs.)

View attachment 13723

·
Registered
76 Posts
What is the difference between the carolina rig and the fishfinder rig. Using braid i have found the plastic on fish finder cuts thru.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
What is the difference between the carolina rig and the fishfinder rig. Using braid i have found the plastic on fish finder cuts thru.
Carolina rigs are good for piers and boats, even rolling. The fish finder rig allows you to use a pyramid sinker. this keeps the waves or current from washing your bait back up on the beach

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
This is NOT the end all and be all of king fishing on the piers. This is just a beginners lesson to understand how to rig for kings on our piers. NOW BEFORE ANYONE HAS A HEART ATTACK....I did NOT steal this from the surfside pier page. They stole it from me. I put this page together a few years ago and never OK'ed them to publish it. As a matter of fact, The pic of the guy standing with the king tail around his neck is my Father. The pics of me tying the rigs are shot on my coffee table. Anyhow, I figured this might help some of the newbies.

View attachment 13779

61 - 80 of 94 Posts