Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys I am going to myrtle beach for the first time may 11-16, I saw that there are a few fishing piers with pay by rod etc. Wondering if this is just surf fishing. I usually throw lures for rockfish in the bay in md. Wondering what can be caught there at this time, if a license is needed, and what lures I could throw. I can get pretty far out with my calcutta dcs with lures, but if only live bait works I can bring some surf stuff too. ANY help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Spanish, blues, whiting, pompano, flounder, some spot, ect.

Pick up some Stingsilvers or 1 1/2-2 oz spoons for the Spanish and blues, soak sand fleas, shrimp, or fresh strips of fish (small croaker, spot, mullet, ect) on 2 hook bottom rigs with 2-4 oz pyramid sinkers and you'll do fine.

If you go on the pier, bring a 9-15' spinning rod and jig up some Spanish. Fun, and good eating.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, i know I go through about 100 gotcha plugs a year so it sounds like they will work okay, are any of the piers better than any others? I may try one of the head boats just to get out in the water.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Take a look at the "Pier Rates" thread. Piers pay for a license so that anyone who fishes there is covered. Choose a pier for convenience. I like Apache because they have a refreshment stand (in season, not open yet) and rest rooms halfway out. I like Springmaid because.....gee, I don't know. I just do. All the others are OK too.

SC requires a license to surf fish. You can get one online at http://www.dnr.sc.gov/. If you can't get it there, most places that have fishing equipment sell the licenses. The regs are also posted on the web site. If you intend to freshwater fish, you will need a separate license.

Tony

·
Registered
297 Posts
My mistake. I read the regs and thought it said you did, but on re-reading them I see that surf is omitted. That's why I am not an "expert," just a guy who likes to fish and occasionally gets lucky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.