Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like we will be making a trip to myrtle beach this weekend. Any advice regarding fishing from the beach or piers? One pier better than another? Also, we are looking for a mom and pop hotel on the beach, preferably an efficiency with separate bedrooms. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Lots of fish around. Blues, black drum, spot, pompano some flounder, specs and reds too.
Don't worry about casting very far unless you want a big red, most fish are in the wash or right past the breakers.

End of pier gives you best chance for big red on cut bait

·
Registered
419 Posts
Apache is a nice pier. Cherry Grove is a little more expensive if you bring more than one rod per person. Springmaid is also very popular. If you are fishing for multiple days, a 14 day coastal license would be cheaper than the pier, and if you are bottom fishing, the same fish you catch from the pier are just behind the breakers in the surf.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the feedback....I am very familiar with outer banks but this is my girlfriend and her sisters trip. Don't know much about myrtle and the fishing there. Probably will stick to a pier, didn't know if one is preferable over another or what is biting currently. Pomps, sea mullet and flounder maybe? Thanks all. Weather is looking questionable.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You'll find Pomps, Sea Mullet, Spot, Croaker, and Black Drum on the bottom, easy targets for the ladies bottom fishing, and possibly Sheepshead and Flounder under the pier and around the pilings. If there's bait in the water Bluefish will probably be running as well.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Sharks ate all the fish[/QUOTE
Since you appear to never fish the surf, could you explain why the surf fishing reports in this forum have virtually disappeared for this entire year? Should be an interesting spin!
Cause we don't care to post, we are busy fishing, we are tired of giving people a full how to post only never to hear from them again without even a "thanks."
I don't think I've posted a surf report in 3 years, but that doesn't mean I haven't surf fished. Same for most of us here.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, went to myrtle Friday night. The weather Saturday was unbelievable.....at least eighty degrees. Ended up not fishing. Wanted to, but the pool , beach and drinks won out. Ladies were content to hang out so I figured fishing could wait.....plus the pier was way north and once the drinks came out it wasn't an option to drive there. Beach was very shallow and flat with lots of people so I passed on surf fishing. Beautiful day at the beach for November. Had a good time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
LOL caught in the ol' Myrtle Beach trap...pool, drinks, girl friend, Broadway at the beach, Planet Hollywood ect, ect :beer:

I use to be like that till I became an ol' fart and figured out fishing was less complicated

:fishing:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Believe me man, I had a good time but the whole myrtle experience is not my thing. Hitting the outer banks with the boys and fishing hard is my preference . Sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and go with the the flow. Ended up on the sixth floor of the hotel with a balcony there was not signs of life within sight of land....no fish busting, no birds working. Two ospreys fighting over a fish was the only thing I saw that was of any interest when it came to sea life and I am on high alert for that at all times. Couldn't help but look at all the high rise structures for miles in either direction and wondering about the calamity that a monster hurricane would deliver. There are little if any dunes. Outer banks even more at risk. ..don't mean to be a downer, but the entire east coast ocean front community is so precarious. Scares the hell out of me..

·
Registered
362 Posts
Cause we don't care to post, we are busy fishing, we are tired of giving people a full how to post only never to hear from them again without even a "thanks."
I don't think I've posted a surf report in 3 years, but that doesn't mean I haven't surf fished. Same for most of us here.
Good spin. Now post a pic of your surf fishing success. The challenge is out for all you locals? Can anybody step up to the plate? I'll be watching. Pretty sad when a guy has to move down from Up North just to get a surf report.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Couldn't help but look at all the high rise structures for miles in either direction and wondering about the calamity that a monster hurricane would deliver. There are little if any dunes. Outer banks even more at risk. ..don't mean to be a downer, but the entire east coast ocean front community is so precarious. Scares the hell out of me..
Yep I agree it would be one hell of a mess if the Grand Strand got one head on and OBX as well. It is amazing the difference in the surf of MB and OBX but I like em' both in their own way.
Good luck with your fishing!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts