Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrap my doubled 17# mainline 6 times around my 50 # floro leader then pass the leader through the loop on the mainline, pull it tight and the leader slips out just before it gets tight.
What the heck am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I wrap my doubled 17# mainline 6 times around my 50 # floro leader then pass the leader through the loop on the mainline, pull it tight and the leader slips out just before it gets tight.
What the heck am I doing wrong?
This may be completely wrong (worked great for me so far), but I throw an overhand knot in my leader (40lb) before tying it onto my main line (15lb). Works like a charm. Never had it break or slip on me. Usually only throwing 1-4oz sinkers with bottom rigs though. Haven't tried it on anything heavier than that.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hold the leaders tag end as you pull. Wait until its almost cinched down before letting the tag end go.

And it should work fine. The tag end will stick out perpendicular to the running line.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tied a overhand knot in the leader today and it worked for me also, lol. I figured what the heck I donno if it's political correct but I gota do something. :)

I'll make sure to hold that leader tag end and see if she'll cinch down. I tied some Yucatan knots with some mono to mono the other day and they worked like a charm then today the floro slips out, SMH

Thanks guys!!!!

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Try another knot. There are many very good knots out there.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks AbuMike, I tied a different knot today. Now I just got to find some fish. I pulled out on a North beach on Hatteras this morning and OMG you talk about a "skinny" beach :eek:

More info on a fishing report/ beach report.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts