Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a penn 9500SS (?) and went out and bought 11 foot penn rod. I know I'm able to cast further than I used too....BUT...I hear you guys call spinning reels the "dark side" I also have some penn conventional reels. Do these type cast further than spinners or is it all about technique?

·
Registered
801 Posts
actually, the conventionals are the dark side. most distance casters throw a conventional, but mark edwards throws a spinner and kicks a$$ when he shows up. its technique with either set-up.

·
Registered
680 Posts
i'm only guessing on this one. but mark has an akward looking style and did 758ft. with his power, and a smoother, more co-ordinated style, i think he could better 800ft. that's only my opion. :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Also depends on type line and diameter casting.I can cast my Penn 6500 on a 10 foot rod well ver 150 yards and 5 oz's,but that is 50 lbs test braided,,I think its like 10 lbs diameter????.
But like wise,with my Casting stuff,SLH30,and 525Mag,I will not spool up with braided line.Economically will not make sense.All I need is to blow up once or twice and boom,that's like 40 bucks down the drain.I will however use the higher lbs braid as a good shock-leader.Distance,control,and fighting large fish,I deffinitely prefer going with casting equipment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts