Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally planned to leave Saturday night around 1am or so. Went to sleep cause I figured the fish wouldn't be biting too well at that time. As it turns out, spot were out in force between the hours of 11 pm Saturday til around 5 am Sunday on Lynnhaven. Once again I was a day late and a dollar short.

Left home Sunday around 6:30 am to go to super Wallyworld for some fresh shrimp. Get there around 7 and they aren't set up in the seafood dept. They didn't even have the freezer that used to house the squid. Left there to go even farther out of the way to another super Walleyworld. THey had what I needed.

Since I was in the general area, I gave Newport News Fishing Pier a call. As it turns out the pier was onl going to be open from 9:30 am til 11 pm. Wenyt to plan C. Go to the Lesner Bridge. Nixed that plan after getting directions to get to the Great Neck passage. Must have went across that birdge 6 or so times looking for that tell tell sign of anglers...a filled parking area. Gave up on that option.

Went to Lynnhaven, but decided to hit the gas when I got to the turnoff. Didn't get good vibes. So shot straight down Shore Drive and headed for Seagull Pier. Got skunked there. So ended up coming back to Lynnhaven. Fished there for the remainder of my time out.

Leave arrived 9pm or so to take my youngest home because he had school the next day.

Tally so far:

1 thin bluefish for my son caught on cut mullet
1 thick 18" puppy drum for myself caught on peeler crab

Decided to come back after getting him settled in. It's around midnight. By this time the pier is nearly deserted. So I set up my gear anyway. Around 6 am left for good with 1 additional fish. This time a 13" bluefish.

Had a great time. Can't believe I couldn't talk my son into taking the day out of school. Maybe we can do this again next weekend. Need to use up the 3 dozen (minus 1 worm) bloodworms I have left over. Nothing took the worms. Nothing took the shrimp. Nothing took the squid. Let's see: $30 for bait divided by 3 fish = Cha ching. Add in a tank of gas, pier admission fees, and new hooks. Grand total= was I out of my mind? Free bait given to my son by departing anglers were the meals of preference for the day. Gotta love that cut mullet and peeler crab. My thanks to all who contributed.

I'll have some questions about rigging for drum later. As well as some questions about how to improve my fighting technique. Not that I have one.:rolleyes: Ok, who's laughing?:mad:

·
Registered
300 Posts
It was cool to meet you thrifty angler. I had a good time fishing and talking with you. Thanks for the coaching on my fight with my first Puppy Drum. What a beast! ;)

Lookin forward to seein you on the pier again.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
still

beat a day at work :p

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
GraphixDude

That was a nice fish. Sorry I didn't warn you in time not to put your thumb in it's mouth. That crusher plate thing.

After you left I hooked into three others. Had no chance of getting em. No net, and no net handler. One was large. It picked my rod up off the pier. I was right in the middle of rebaiting the smaller rod. Talk about the heart pumping so loud that I could hear it. Or at least it seemed that way. There was a guy that came on and offered assistance in advance if I needed it. He sat on the first bench for a while before him and his 3 companions headed out to Seagull. I wonder if it was chest2headandglassy. From reading one of his posts, I kinda got that feeling.

I sure needed coaching tips with those three. My problem was in assuming I could get them in without the use of drag. Plan was to beach them, secure the rod to the railing and go down the stairs and pick the fish up off the sand. Didn't go as planned though.:rolleyes: Sure coulda used your "wading" expertise out there. No worries, I'm good at spotting fins. But you do remember I can only see about 20 feet ahead. So figure in the distance from the top of the pier down to the water. Ok. Maybe that's not a good idea. Once again I might be too late with a warning. Putting a pier net on my list of things to buy in the off season.

I got one 13" blue. Ended up leaving around 6:05 am for that school prep thing. Oh btw, guess who I ran into in the parking lot. Mr "too many rods" making one last attempt to once again "defy the numbers." Darn near knocked me over in his mad rush to get at them fish.
Those two bills I needed to pay turned into a full day of chores. Finally got to sleep around 4:30 pm. Now I'm up for the night. Time to go over my son's Algebra work. Hope you got enough sleep to get you "tasks" taken care of.

I'll get out there again soon. If not, we'll do the Willoughby Pier thing. Might be fun to invite our partner in crime. What an interesting and informative night!

Great meeting ya GraphixDude.:cool: Oh, next time.....please don't forget the camera. You never know! I'll bring the Mountain Dew.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GraphixDude

I almost forgot. Your fish was probably in the 26" or so range. Wish we had taken a measure. And a catch and release at that. WTG.:cool:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Sorry TA, that wasn't me on the planks. This time of year I'm usually IN the water fishing for them stripers. But after hearing the puppies caught from the pier, I may have to make a visit there soon. I'm a friendly guy (from what I've heard) and I'll usually bring up the P&S site if I'm talking to someone about fishing.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cdog

I'm considering changing my diet to a more protein friendly one. Squid, bloodworms, and of course shrimp. Somebody's gotta eat it. Since the fish didn't want it:mad:, no use in letting it go to waste.:rolleyes:

I'm sure that first bite will be the toughest. If I can get thru that I can handle the rest. I'm speaking of the first bite from the bloodworm of course.

Well, since I have found myself a hole as we experienced anglers refer to them, I'll definitely be returning. Even had a chance to test the breaking waves theory. I'm getting good at this. Of course it took me nearly 30 years to figure it out. So I'm a slow study, but I'm a fast hands on learner.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Chest2head&glassy

I read that you were in the Chix beach area. THought it might have been you. Try and get out there. PM me if you need any other info on location, bait, and best time for them, etc....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts