Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a Shimano Tiralejo 12' surf rod,but its running around $350.At that price should I just go with a custom built rainshadow blank and high end componets?Also when just buying the rod blanks ,can you get them painted any color from tip to butt.This will be the first custom rod for me if I decide to get it.:confused:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Sirs....I will give you an opinion on couple of your questions. You did not mention your current experience/expertise level with a surf rod or your intent of use (i.e bait heaver, etc) so here are generic responses.......

The Shimano you speak of is very soft in the butt section......and once you become more proficient and begin using a power cast of any kind, especially with 6/8oz and bait, you will be most unhappy with it. There are several customs out there offering a better choice, but buying a new one from a rod builder/dealer will push the $350 limit....however, you can find good used ones at or below $350. WRI fusion or fusion magnum, Daiwa Saltiga Ballistic 40-405 (lightest of the bunch), and rainshadow 1509/1569 are among them. Rainshadow's new 1569 is well worth the look, its a completely different blank from the old 1569. The new 1567 is similar in action/casting weight limits as the old 1569. Those mentioned above are 13' or slightly longer and are true heavers. A real advantage of the WRI blanks and the Ballistic is the fitting of a size 22 reel seat....and a trigger if you prefer, which I do! I definitely prefer a custom Ballistic 40-405 compared to the factory.....you will not find a lighter heaver on the beach. A built Fusion Magnum will weigh approx 10-12 oz more than the Ballistic (it is a more powerful rod, but the weight can be a disadvantage).

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Since you said heaver, you're going to be pushing past that $350 mark pretty quick for a custom. You could start out with a Bass Pro Shops Ocean Master or Breakaway HDX for under that price, and they're both great 8nbait heavers.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I saw 2 HDX's on Richmond craigslist for $350. Good rods I use them

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking at getting a Shimano Tiralejo 12' surf rod,but its running around $350.At that price should I just go with a custom built rainshadow blank and high end componets?Also when just buying the rod blanks ,can you get them painted any color from tip to butt.This will be the first custom rod for me if I decide to get it.:confused:
Sorry guys it will be used mostly for throwing bait with 4 to 8oz.For drums ,sandsharks,strippers,etc.My main goal is for it to be very light in weight cause i'm gonna pair it with my daiwa saltist 50

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
HDX is the ticket then. very light compaired to some

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry guys it will be used mostly for throwing bait with 4 to 8oz.For drums ,sandsharks,strippers,etc.My main goal is for it to be very light in weight cause i'm gonna pair it with my daiwa saltist 50
Even if I go past the 350 mark thats ok I just want a rod thats gonna be worth the money and me not just paying for a name

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
A Saltist 50 probably isn't going to give you the best distance, but the RS 1569 is very light, and probably only comes second in weight to the Ballistic. I haven't seen firm number on the blank weight of the Ballistics yet though.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
reel

for a beach heaver I wouldn't go over a 30 size Daiwa reel ... a 50 is too big to get much distance .... You'll end up getting a high dollar reel to cast farther then handicap yourself with a too big of reel ...... gotta match them up properly .... if you're yakkin out baits then a bigger reel is ok but a big penn works better for yakkin out baits

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.