Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Schick702 (above) said it well:

"I have seen plenty of new cayennes on the beach and they did really well. Better than most 4x4s. As long as they had the ground clearance. Just remember not all "all wheel drives" are created equally."

Ronald: It instantly adapts to driving conditions. On the racetrack, it negates any characteristics of oversteer and under steer by using active torque and braking distribution including all aspects of roll, suspension and road handling management. On off road, water, sand, snow, rough terrain, rock crawling with Jeeps and Range Rovers, not all wheels contacting or whatever, each wheel is individually controlled by engineered decisions of road handling optimization in all aspects including individual wheel braking that is in the programming of the computer that is making instantaneous decisions of optimization of multiple parameters far beyond the ability of the best of race car drivers. Then there's manual selections of ground clearance, shock and terrain characteristics at the push of a button. Cayenne's can have additional factory options in multiple categories of performance, traction, handling, comfort and safety and this one has them all. -- Ronald :)

OR as succinctly said by Schick702: "Just remember not all "all wheel drives" are created equally."

Here's how Porsche describes it:

http://www.porsche.com/international/models/cayenne/cayenne/drive/porsche-traction-management-ptm/

"Porsche Traction Management (PTM)

PTM comprises an active all-wheel drive system with an electronically variable, map-controlled multi-plate clutch, automatic brake differential (ABD) and anti-slip regulation (ASR).
The electronically controlled multi-plate clutch helps to ensure optimum distribution of force between the permanently driven rear axle and the front axle. The driving conditions are continuously monitored to enable the system to respond to a variety of situations. During cornering, the required level of engine torque is distributed to the front wheels to provide excellent lateral stability. The result: perfect distribution of drive torque at all times."

http://www.porsche.com/international/models/cayenne/cayenne/chassis/off-road/

Off-road capability

Using the main off-road control on the centre console, you can select one of up to three modes (depending on the model) for improving the off-road capability or revert the setting to normal road driving. In Off-road Mode 1, the maps for all relevant systems, e.g. ABS, are adapted to provide optimum traction. In addition, High Level 1 is selected on vehicles featuring air suspension with PASM. The air suspension can also be raised further to High Level II to increase the approach/departure angle and wading depth.
Off-road Mode 2 ensures even greater traction on difficult terrain* by fully locking the multi-plate clutch. The electronically controlled variable rear differential on the optional Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)* is integrated within the all-wheel drive system and can be fully locked in Off-road Mode 3.
* Available on the Cayenne, Cayenne S, Cayenne S Diesel, Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo and Cayenne Turbo S.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have the exact same options added to mine as the ones that won first, second and third in that off road race across Russia. This is the vehicle that beats Range Rover yet most people don't know it as being that off road capable plus it's a race car on the track, too.

Yesterday, a kid at the local fishing pond said for me to go fast. I said you go fast and let him drive it. He's probably still talking about that.

Ronald :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
On the first page of this, we have pictures in a magazine article, manufacturer specifications, YouTube videos and my photograph which identifies both which version I have and even the license plate.

But, sure, I'll gladly accommodate your request. What would you like a picture to feature?

This coming weekend I'll likely have it fishing at a Utah State Park with beautiful scenery.

The brevity of the last two posts leave me at a loss to understand what is begin commented upon or what is being asked. Perhaps it's because I'm not part of the texting culture that communicates with similar brevity, so I need a little more information.

·
Registered
149 Posts
On the first page of this, we have pictures in a magazine article, manufacturer specifications, YouTube videos and my photograph which identifies both which version I have and even the license plate.

But, sure, I'll gladly accommodate your request. What would you like a picture to feature?

This coming weekend I'll likely have it fishing at a Utah State Park with beautiful scenery.

The brevity of the last two posts leave me at a loss to understand what is begin commented upon or what is being asked. Perhaps it's because I'm not part of the texting culture that communicates with similar brevity, so I need a little more information.

Just a little advice, don't pickup strange kids in your vehicle, you'll get put on a list.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
IMG_20170715_163127.jpg IMG_20170715_162638.jpg IMG_20170715_120941.jpg IMG_20170716_002649.jpg
I had some fishing fun Saturday. Our local fishing group took a large group of disabled veterans fishing for them to have fun and to show them we appreciate them. Mostly it was trolling for Kokanee Salmon at depth in a reservoir. I hosted a smaller group that preferred shore fishing. The picture is a disabled veteran having a great time. I like variety in fishing and want to learn many styles. Yesterday, I caught those fish on ultralight spinning gear using three pound test Nano line which isn't clear yet largely ignored by fish perhaps because it's so thin. That was mostly new for me. Surf fishing will be new for me. It was a pleasure driving to fishing locations and I can see my new vehicle will also be a pleasure to drive to a coast once I figure out where and when I should go. I'm looking forward to it. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
I've had a few adventures with this vehicle already that is oddly much more capable of off road challenges than it's appearance would suggest. I recently named it after the viral YouTube video: "Honey Badger Don't Care" because it has earned that reputation.

I went standup paddle boarding with a recreational group of mostly women. I recently bought a Utah State Parks annual pass, so I filled up my car with girls to save them the mountain road driving and the $9 entry fee. I inadvertently passed up my exit and pulled over onto the shoulder past it where we saw the exit road climbing to our right with a very steep embankment that is not meant for any car to climb nor would I suspect any would even try. I announced "Honey Badger Don't Care," turned and went straight up the steep incline. For a couple seconds all we could see out of the windshield was the sky and then we were on our desired exit road. Our conversation resumed without mention of that odd climb perhaps because of my mannerism that it was nothing special for the Honey Badger.

The tires are quite wide, so that will help for beach sand.

I'm getting new wheels with winter tires for ice fishing this coming season and I'm looking forward to my first surf fishing vacation once I figure out what season and what coast or hire a guide who can hopefully coach me into achieving surf casting proficiency.

If any of our group wants to invite me to surf fish with them then, please let me know with plenty of advance notice for me to arrange with my work to be able to take some vacation time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
My Latest Addition To My Surf Fishing Equipment this time are sand tires that I bought on a Black Friday sale. I bought snow tires and the sale was so good that I chose to order my sand tires while the sale was still going. I just tried them for two days and they have excellent traction on dry pavement. Their huge footprints will compact the sand without it flowing out from under them for optimum loose beach sand traction. I bought extra wheels for all the different tires for quick changes for the various conditions. My sand tires are not for wet traction and the opposite of what is needed for snow, so I just switched wheels to use my new snow tires tomorrow because we will have some light snow tonight. Then we'll have some sunny Utah days, so I'll put those away for harsher winter off road conditions for my ice fishing. With the addition of sand tires and their own set of wheels, now I'm more prepared for my first surf fishing vacation. I hope to find a guide (perhaps among this fine group?) to teach me and also coach me to distance casting proficiency and make some knowledge and experience based choices on what time of year and which coast to target a good choice of fish on beaches we can drive. That guide will likely be my best investment in surf fishing.

I also found a better video that might give some insight into if this vehicle will be good in beach sand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_EwADV0NRU

Skip to 1 minute 50 seconds into the video to see it's sand driving capabilities and that's with street tires.

Ronald

·
Registered
704 Posts
Pal, I told you in a previous post, " You are way overthinking it"
You probably didn't catch in all your studies of reading P&S where just recently I pulled someone about 100 yards back the hard pack of the ramp. The couple and thier Pretty Volvo C70 never got more than a hundred or so yards from it. Just because it's "all-wheel drive" doesn't mean that it's suited for the beach.

Would a set of Dolce and Gabbana Chest waders be I near your future as well? Or will you choose the Gucci waders instead? I think you will be the model of the latest " fasion statement " on the beach TODAY.. It will be a perfect combination paired with your titanium laser guided sand spikes that you've engineered. I'd love to be there when you race a Pompano down the beach with your high perfomance beach vehicle.
I did the same to a pompous ass NY'er in his Outback...lol. I passed him at the beginning of my day and pulled him out at the end. He told me in the morning that the Outback was more capable than my full size Ram. What an awesome laugh to end an awesome day!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hope it comes with a rust warranty
Merry Christmas, all! I gave some thought to Jollymon's point of subjecting a fine car to sea salt of the beach and finally have an answer. Though I'm fine with doing it anyway and I did find out the car has excellent undercoating and rust mitigation, I know it will still get some rust. Besides, scratches certainly haven't inhibited my off-road use. No point in having those capabilities without using them and I do. But, in searching for some extra wheels for my sand tires, I bought myself a Christmas present. It seems wheels are expensive for it, but I got a good deal on some used wheels that not only saved me money, but were attached to a used Porsche Cayenne and the one with the big engine. That way, I'll keep the rust off of my nicer one by using this one for surf fishing vacations. Besides, it doesn't need the full twin turbo power for the 25 MPH speed limits on beaches, but it does have the off-road traction packages. As for the rust considerations, the price of new wheels were $5500 and the price for this used 2004 car with used wheels was only $5000 and it only needed new front suspension parts. It should be an ideal choice for the beach and for all the criticism on wealth, this car is much less expensive than the vehicles used by most on this forum. I'll make a rod holder for it to go into it's trailer hitch.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Not a good choice for the beach. Get a 4 x 4 pickup, A Jeep. But if you can afford that, then you have a lot of money to get towed off the beach when you get stuck and you will. just pray there are good People with truck that have a real 4 X 4 system to tow you out. OOps I see you already bought it. Good luck you will need it. If you ever make to A.I. or theDelaware beaches, I'm in a black jeep. I'll pull you out.:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Ronald: (I may have missed it) have you had it in the soft sand? a friend of mine has been looking at one for years. 98% of his driving is on road but does surf fish. he was wondering.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ronald: (I may have missed it) have you had it in the soft sand? a friend of mine has been looking at one for years. 98% of his driving is on road but does surf fish. he was wondering.
Spydermn, My post on 12/4/17 has a link of exactly the same year and model as mine preforming well in wind blown sand dunes. But, no, I haven't had it in sand yet. It's ice fishing season here and it performs amazingly well on ice.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Oops! I experienced a total loss of traction. The best tires made no difference! I knew this, but was so far away from thinking it because this much power is new to me. I was stopped and looking at a steep uphill curve fifty feet in front of me. I gave it full acceleration and attempted to make a very necessary turn at the top of the hill. There is zero traction when airborne! Fortunately, the wheels touched the ground just in time and then it was able to make a very forceful turn. I wasn't thinking I could be in the air in just fifty feet!

21 - 40 of 91 Posts