Pier and Surf Forum banner

My Latest Addition To My Surf Fishing Equipment

34K views 90 replies 24 participants last post by  MSRIEF 
#1 ·
With this addition to my surf fishing equipment, I'm much closer to my first surf fishing experience.

I've been seriously studying posts on Pierandsurf.com to learn about this new subject to me for my first surf fishing vacation to be productive and fun.

So far I have quite a collection of surf fishing rods, reels and lures, but they remain new and I still haven't decided that I know enough to decide which lines to purchase to be ready. Not knowing, I'll tend to buy a variety to be sure to have good choices with me to be prepared for a variety of different surf fishing on any coast.

This is my latest purchase of surf fishing equipment:

http://www.boatingmag.com/luxury-towing-porsche-cayenne-turbo-s

Being in Utah, it should solve my transportation concerns including beach and sand capabilities which should be excellent because I got all of the best of options including the ones that give it enhanced off road capabilities far beyond stock and more power.

I hope to see some here surf fishing near me on a beach on some coast soon!

Ronald :)

See less See more
#36 ·
Merry Christmas, all! I gave some thought to Jollymon's point of subjecting a fine car to sea salt of the beach and finally have an answer. Though I'm fine with doing it anyway and I did find out the car has excellent undercoating and rust mitigation, I know it will still get some rust. Besides, scratches certainly haven't inhibited my off-road use. No point in having those capabilities without using them and I do. But, in searching for some extra wheels for my sand tires, I bought myself a Christmas present. It seems wheels are expensive for it, but I got a good deal on some used wheels that not only saved me money, but were attached to a used Porsche Cayenne and the one with the big engine. That way, I'll keep the rust off of my nicer one by using this one for surf fishing vacations. Besides, it doesn't need the full twin turbo power for the 25 MPH speed limits on beaches, but it does have the off-road traction packages. As for the rust considerations, the price of new wheels were $5500 and the price for this used 2004 car with used wheels was only $5000 and it only needed new front suspension parts. It should be an ideal choice for the beach and for all the criticism on wealth, this car is much less expensive than the vehicles used by most on this forum. I'll make a rod holder for it to go into it's trailer hitch.

#3 ·
Thanks, Jollymon! That's an important consideration. I should get whatever might help and use car washes soon after surf fishing. Suggestions on making it more ready are invited. From reading posts, I'll get a tow strap. Perhaps I'll be able to help someone out as I always like to be helpful.

#5 · (Edited)
You've type cast Porsche like actors are sometimes type cast into a role. Think of this particular one as a sports utility truck. This Cayenne has more qualities of a truck than the sports car you expect from Porsche and others are more like cars. Porsche has excellent engineers that designed in these advanced capabilities. I drove the Porsche 930 which is as close as you can get to their full race car that is street legal. This Cayenne has all that plus versatility! It's even more like a truck than many of the light duty street only versions of trucks that just look like a truck yet mechanically and by capabilities are more like cars and you certainly wouldn't want one of those on the sand even though it has the recognized appearance of a truck. Things aren't always as they appear.

#6 ·
Pal, I told you in a previous post, " You are way overthinking it"
You probably didn't catch in all your studies of reading P&S where just recently I pulled someone about 100 yards back the hard pack of the ramp. The couple and thier Pretty Volvo C70 never got more than a hundred or so yards from it. Just because it's "all-wheel drive" doesn't mean that it's suited for the beach.

Would a set of Dolce and Gabbana Chest waders be I near your future as well? Or will you choose the Gucci waders instead? I think you will be the model of the latest " fasion statement " on the beach TODAY.. It will be a perfect combination paired with your titanium laser guided sand spikes that you've engineered. I'd love to be there when you race a Pompano down the beach with your high perfomance beach vehicle.

#8 ·
Good points that it's not an optimal choice for surf fishing, but it will serve me many other ways like winter driving conditions for ice fishing tournaments and fishing mountain streams and that's just the fishing uses.

Anyway, my point was I'm now a lot closer to being able to go surf fishing because my older vehicle has reliability and performance issues. Further, actually a lot further, I have a much longer drive to a coast than most who are the regulars here.

This vehicle does have an rare optional traction control package that makes it perform well in sand, so I do know very well that most are incapable of functioning on sand. Mine is very different from 99.9% of the other Porsche Cayennes though it is mostly like the one I linked except for that and much more performance features of a variety of sorts.

On surf fishing, I don't know what I'm doing and will have to learn. On this vehicle, I didn't get what you're thinking.

#9 ·
If I ever saw a Porsche stuck on the beach, (or anywhere for that matter).
I would park at a distance, have lunch, and watch the fun show.

just last week, I saw one of those things with a young buck in his 20s
pouring gas into the tank with a one gallon red gas jug where he had RAN OUT OF GAS
right there on the interstate . . . . those people have more $$$$ than common smarts !!!

#10 ·
. . . . those people have more $$$$ than common smarts !!!
I suppose there is truth to that generalization, but there is irony in that it's not me. I believe I am one of us and I'm certainly not being snobbish. It might even be the other way around. If you knew me you would know that is true. I'm not even wealthy money wise. Rather, I have prioritized the fishing we love by making rather harsh sacrifices in other parts of my life to be able to enjoy what I've been missing in fishing and to make the most of my vacations for fishing.

That's the only thing I don't like about this vehicle. Since others buy such vehicles for prestige and impressions many will get false impressions of the purpose for which I choose this vehicle. To me, it's just the right tool to get me to fishing and hunting destinations and sometimes with a boat.

Have you ever driving been behind a Hummer in a supermarket parking lot going five miles per hour and have it slow to one mile per hour for just a speed bump to not damage their symbol of idolatry that they have know idea of it's design capabilities?

Well, I'm the opposite of that! I will use it for what it has been engineered to accomplish. This is an off road vehicle with many rare options for that capability to be greatly enhanced. I will use it off road for tougher trails than most jeeps will ever see and it will get scratches from branches and I'll not care.

For me, this really is really fishing equipment exactly like I presented to take me to some great places, hard or soft water and even distant sea water for surf fishing. It's all about fishing and hunting destinations!

To me it's capabilities that I WILL USE to (just one of many examples) chase after the boil of bait fish seen in the distance by seeing the sea gulls diving after bait fish that are being fed upon by larger fish. I got the sand traction control capabilities options to drive the beach to surf cast into those boils. The other Cayenne's you see on the highway don't have these enhancement packages. It opens up a world of fishing for me!

Perhaps think of it as a truck. It will do more than most trucks -- especially the ones that are kept pristine and idol worshiped in driveways with suds and wax and never get a scratch.

Now I'll get a season pass for Utah State Parks and use it a lot which is something I couldn't do before.

#12 ·
Even better, I hope you see in person and we fish together.

Until then here is a YouTube video of the astonishing full capabilities when the optional equipment for sand is chosen:

Please note that like with trucks there is quite a range of performance capabilities depending upon differentials, four wheel drive, etcetera. Similarly, most of the Cayennes you see on the highway are mostly for the highwway and don't have the sand performance you will see in this video.

Based on seeing such performance on the extreme slopes in dunes of loose sand the flat sands of a beach will be no challenge at all, so my tow strap might only be used to help out trucks stuck in the sand.

Enjoy:

Porsche Cayenne Playing In Sand - YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h5nNEKLc3Ko

#14 · (Edited)
Well, actually it already has that because with the press of a button it goes up for greater ground clearance for rough terrain or fording water and then back down for low center of gravity for stability in cornering.

What you saw in the video was a midrange ground clearance just to clear the dunes. But, as you saw, the traction control works so well that it's not sinking into the sand at all because as the wheels spin, it moves and quite well.

There are other videos where they far outperform conventional off road vehicles, but I picked this one because it answers the question of performance on flat beach sand by showing awesome performance on extraordinary slopes in loose dune sand with race winning capability without any modifications. Besides, it's wheels and tires work well on the highway, too.

You're right in comparing it to a truck in that it has the payload of a 3/4 ton truck and a good percentage of it's towing capacity.

Sure there are those who think they have that capability just because their street car says all wheel drive, but we see the differences and we see them get stuck.

I know what I'm doing on the selection of this car for the features I will actually be using, so it is practical for me and even more practical in that I've been a Porsche mechanic albeit a long time ago with the 935 and a lot has changed in technology. I appreciate the engineering excellence and quality which hasn't changed as they mostly win the races both on road and off road.

Still, I'm not really into cars. I've made them perform for customers long ago, but now I'm just looking at what it can do for me like in what pertains to this group, it will allow me to have very comfortable driving experiences on making long trips from Utah seem short and then having a vehicle for the beach sand when I get there and do both with reliability.

#16 ·
Exactly! Yes, even among Cayennes "not all "all wheel drives" are created equally" which is a tougher distinction to make because Cayennes mostly look identical on the outside. But, it's the optional choices that makes the sand traction either amazing or just ordinary. Mine has a very rare combination of all of the best of extras that makes it race worthy in both dunes, and the track. It has the full packages including the handling and safety enhancements for the racing sports.

The confusion comes from all of the versions of Cayennes looking identical from the outside. There's a video ,of a Cayenne driver having a hard time in beach sand. But, I suspect his obvious lack of patience included not reading the owners manual to know he should lock differentials provided he had that equipment package.

It's ground clearance is variable both automatically adapting to driving conditions and with manual control. It can get considerable ground clearance, but it's rarely seen that way because that's selected usually only for the moment of fording water or rough terrain because with the traction control for driving on sand, it won't sink in.

I really did buy it as fishing equipment and that's the nature of my purpose for posting here that I got it. It's a major breakthrough for me in making many types of fishing more accessible to me as I look with great eagerness to my first surf fishing vacation. I want to do it right, learn right, have a productive first experience and a lot of fun!

Now that the transportation obstacle has been solved, my next major obstacle to overcome to do it well is to learn a lot more about surf fishing and get good advice on where to go and when and much more and even still, I'll probably do best by getting an experienced guide.

Besides, I still need to learn surf casting technique. A guide makes sense for me. Otherwise, those who don't get to laugh at my vehicle getting stuck in sand would be able to laugh at my attempts at surf casting. But, I'll learn.

G
#17 ·
It's ground clearance is variable both automatically adapting to driving conditions and with manual control. It can get considerable ground clearance, but it's rarely seen that way because that's selected usually only for the moment of fording water or rough terrain because with the traction control for driving on sand, it won't sink in.

I got a good laugh out of this video.

#18 ·
New challenge (and question) on driving on beach sand.

I've been driving my ice fishing / surf fishing vehicle for a month now and letting my friends drive it, too. It's like a rocket! On a Jeep trail, it did well. It will be very comfortable driving it to a coast from Utah, but friends here in Utah are telling me there are no beaches where driving on them are permitted. But, how would they know! We're nowhere near a beach!

Obviously, there are beaches to drive on by the posts here.

Is there a book or directory of all of the various beaches in our United States where driving is permitted with information on the local rules, required permits, permits for those from out of their state, various restrictions of days or hours or speed, (still looking for a highway that allows driving over 180 MPH) and camping, fires and etcetera?

I still need to pick a destination for my first surf fishing adventure! Suggestions on locations and referral to a guide are invited and will be appreciated.

#22 · (Edited)
Schick702 (above) said it well:

"I have seen plenty of new cayennes on the beach and they did really well. Better than most 4x4s. As long as they had the ground clearance. Just remember not all "all wheel drives" are created equally."

Ronald: It instantly adapts to driving conditions. On the racetrack, it negates any characteristics of oversteer and under steer by using active torque and braking distribution including all aspects of roll, suspension and road handling management. On off road, water, sand, snow, rough terrain, rock crawling with Jeeps and Range Rovers, not all wheels contacting or whatever, each wheel is individually controlled by engineered decisions of road handling optimization in all aspects including individual wheel braking that is in the programming of the computer that is making instantaneous decisions of optimization of multiple parameters far beyond the ability of the best of race car drivers. Then there's manual selections of ground clearance, shock and terrain characteristics at the push of a button. Cayenne's can have additional factory options in multiple categories of performance, traction, handling, comfort and safety and this one has them all. -- Ronald :)

OR as succinctly said by Schick702: "Just remember not all "all wheel drives" are created equally."

Here's how Porsche describes it:

http://www.porsche.com/international/models/cayenne/cayenne/drive/porsche-traction-management-ptm/

"Porsche Traction Management (PTM)

PTM comprises an active all-wheel drive system with an electronically variable, map-controlled multi-plate clutch, automatic brake differential (ABD) and anti-slip regulation (ASR).
The electronically controlled multi-plate clutch helps to ensure optimum distribution of force between the permanently driven rear axle and the front axle. The driving conditions are continuously monitored to enable the system to respond to a variety of situations. During cornering, the required level of engine torque is distributed to the front wheels to provide excellent lateral stability. The result: perfect distribution of drive torque at all times."

http://www.porsche.com/international/models/cayenne/cayenne/chassis/off-road/

Off-road capability

Using the main off-road control on the centre console, you can select one of up to three modes (depending on the model) for improving the off-road capability or revert the setting to normal road driving. In Off-road Mode 1, the maps for all relevant systems, e.g. ABS, are adapted to provide optimum traction. In addition, High Level 1 is selected on vehicles featuring air suspension with PASM. The air suspension can also be raised further to High Level II to increase the approach/departure angle and wading depth.
Off-road Mode 2 ensures even greater traction on difficult terrain* by fully locking the multi-plate clutch. The electronically controlled variable rear differential on the optional Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)* is integrated within the all-wheel drive system and can be fully locked in Off-road Mode 3.
* Available on the Cayenne, Cayenne S, Cayenne S Diesel, Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo and Cayenne Turbo S.

#26 ·
I have the exact same options added to mine as the ones that won first, second and third in that off road race across Russia. This is the vehicle that beats Range Rover yet most people don't know it as being that off road capable plus it's a race car on the track, too.

Yesterday, a kid at the local fishing pond said for me to go fast. I said you go fast and let him drive it. He's probably still talking about that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.