Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overall this time of year, the fishing pretty much sthinks lol. But I've been doing pretty well crabbing at various bridges and inlets.

After visiting 4 piers today, seems like the Apache Pier has a pretty good bite going on with the whiting, but very small. And not really wanting to fork over money to fish for whiting, I decided to so surf fishing.

Surf fishing has been pretty slow....almost non existent, but I did manage to pull in a 6lb redfish on shrimp. Was fishing and inlet on the outbound tide and after goofing around with my gear, he bit. I'll post pictures up later this week.

For those of you visitors frequenting this site as I did looking for fishing tips here are some things I've realized.

1. Fishing this time of year is really slow
2. Pier Fishing is a hit and miss depending on which pier you hit.
3. If you decide to surf fish, look for inlets or different contours on a satellite photo that can give you an edge for different structures.
4. If surf fishing learn to cast far...really far....you have to cast beyond the breakers (waves) in order to do pretty decent.
5. If all else fails, grab some chicken necks, string em up, grab a $4 crab net at walmart and go crabbing. .... That's pretty exciting. Remember they have to be at least 5 inches.

I could imagine that in a few weeks this water is going to turn on, but I'm from Florida and am spoiled with all the different species available to you and the different areas even on foot that you can hit up. Overall the fishing here has been mediocre, but then again I'm just a visitor and really haven't had time to find the "honey holes" although I think I've found a very good one where the redfish was caught.

Tight lines fellas! I'm headed out Friday and will try to squeeze 1 more day of fishing in Thursday!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Nice to hear you got a Red. I've only got small sharks and a doggie the last couple weeks. The temp is getting up though and in two weeks I think we'll be game-on. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Congrats on the red.

If you can get some whiting or other small fish, cut bait will probably catch small sharks or skates this time of year. Also, MB requires longer casts because most of the beach lacks contour. Those beaches are relatively flat-sloping, and you don't see good sandbars and sloughs like on the OBX. But look for points and inlets and you will find fish.

Not sure where you are staying, but up north of MB there is an inlet to the sound that has good bars outside of it. Good place to catch reds from the surf. Just get onto Ocean Blvd in Cherry Grove and drive 'til you hit the gray wooden condos at the north end of the road. The inlet is right on the other side and the bar is about 65 yds out at mid-tide.

Evan

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I'm not sure. It is the last part of car-accessible beach before you hit NC. About half a mile north of the short private pier. And it leads into the sound on the back side of Cherry Grove Beach.

Evan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after a week at the condo my final tally was...

- about 30 crabs crabbing
- 2 6-7lb redfish (on blue crabs)
- 1 2lb croaker (on shrimp)
- 1 Bluefish (on a spoon)

I did see more mullet activity with a few bigger ones jumping. That was more in the surf though.

Pictures coming soon!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also I fished lots of the inlets and there was not much activity at all. Only activity I saw was a few mud minnows chasing and eathing lil minnows, but other than crabs and mudminnows, didn't see anyone pulling anything from the inlets yet.

So I decided to switch to the surf side and am glad I did. Put on more weight so you can sling them suckers out! Had a lot of nibbles in the surf, prolly some whiting or pins that were going crazy on my baits, but hey it gave a lil excitement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.