Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to go to chix beach tonight, got there about 11pm. tide had just turned and was now heading out. I have just started surf fishing in the past few days, real surf fishing that is. I have fished on teh beach, but really only a few times to throw some lures.

Tonight I went out with my baitrunner 6500 on a 9' rod. I had a smorgasboard of bait, i.e. squid, cut menhaden, whole menhaden, 5"finger mullet and a knife incase I wanted to cut a spot. Started out slow and was getting slower and then, zzzzzz. I had something, or actually, it had me. I am using a circle hook, and for the first time, didnt' set the hook, I just sat there admiring for a few seconds just how cool it is to have something running away with your bait. It turned out to be a 5 or 6lb skate. (or ray, I can't tell the difference). It didn't fight too hard, but it was the highlight of my night.

I have fished all of my life, freshwater, but still, I fish alot. But this was the first true run I had while surf fishing, especially at night. I am usually more of a early morning person, but hey, if there is a time when I can catch fish, or rays for that matter, I will go. I had fun tonight, hopefully next time i can meet some fellow p&s er's out there. I know it is fri night and most people have plans, but I am married with a 6 month old, so right now fri is just another day to me. I have my email on here and if anyone does any weekend surf fishing in the evening, or mornign, give me a holler. [email protected] or jsut use the one on my account info.

todd

·
Registered
634 Posts
i'll be fishing all weekend (weather permitting)behind my apt on willoughby spit...your welcome to come join me....caught a mess of croaker today at low tide.....

·
Registered
634 Posts
no i just moved here about a week ago:(...but a monster trout run sounds real good lol..tell me more!...

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Check the April archives.......Monsters...monsters.....4#,5#,6#.....a couple of citations @ the Spit........In the fall....Stripers......

I hope to meet up....I am the Filipino with the surf-n-mate cart....You will prbably see Surf-N-Turf there also...He's my good luck charm....:D

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey kajun,

Ill hit you a pm next time I make it down that way, I go there often cause i work down the street at northampton and military.

todd

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
well at least ya didnt get skunked :)

·
Registered
823 Posts
YUP A SKATES BETTER THAN A SKUNK ANY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
634 Posts
nserch...let me know when you come to the spit...i'd like to fish with ya for stripers.....bassn...yea let me know when ya come down here next time.

also...come october...what is the temp of water about that time? is it still warm or cold?...do i need to invest in a wet suit?...i seen one guy at lesner bridge using like a half wet suit with suspenders...what do ya'll use?

·
Registered
29 Posts
kajun. the "half wet suit" are called waders. you will need them come october. the water is faily cool. you can buy a good pair of waders at many sporting goods stores. ( sports authority, dicks) for about 100 bucks and they keep you warm and dry.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Just replaced my old neoprene waders last year.Still have the old one's.Small leak in the boot.There are size SMALL.I will gladly donate them to any1 that will fix them.
I got a new set for under 65.00 bucks,last year from SA.
They are a neoprene/canvas type.Not as tight on your crouch as the straight neoprenes are.I ain't no John Holmes,but fidgiting with your bits and pieces while fishin,is not too comfortable....nor appealing to see:p

PM me if interested.I have nor the patience or cold threshold 4 my feetsies to get cold and wet.I am pretty sure you can patch them up,as good as new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts