Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I hope this will be the beginning of a lot of helpful information for me. I usually fish at Sandy Point. I use two ten foot casting rods with Penn Spinners. I made my own spikes and riggs. I now have a new cart which included those big gray wheels. Looking forward to a lot of fun learning and sharing.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Yep, welcome aboard SD! Hi Ho Silver...AWAAAAAAYY!!!! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Welcome to Pier & Surf!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Welcome to the board, see you at Sandy Point

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Surf Fishing Technique

I set up with a ten foot rod and my heavy duty Penn Spinner. I use a pulley rig so on bite the fish will lift the sinker off the bottom. I use a good size circle hook. The drag is set so the fish can take the line out. On the bite I reach over and tighten the drag about three turns and hold the real the set the hook. I am looking for advise on any better way to fish this rod/reel combo.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Surf Fishing Technique

I set up with a ten foot rod and my heavy duty Penn Spinner. I use a pulley rig so on bite the fish will lift the sinker off the bottom. I use a good size circle hook. The drag is set so the fish can take the line out. On the bite I reach over and tighten the drag about three turns and hold the real the set the hook. I am looking for advise on any better way to fish this rod/reel combo.[/QUOTE

the better way is the one that works for you. I think Cdog said that thats about the best advice to someone. That means experiment with rigs, bait, tides. Lokk into matching your gear with the fish your after. There are quite a few books on rigs. My preference is a fishfinder rig and any configuration of a dropper rig when bait fishing from shore. You can make these rigs to fit any size fish. I'll look through my books and get a couple titles for you.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Book Titles

1) Complete Book of Baits Rigs & Tackle by Vic Dunaway

2) Fishing the Chesapeake by Lenny Rudow

These are very good books for anybody and they aren't expensive you can find them on Amazon. Makes good reading over the winter down time.

Chesapeake

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shock Leaders

Well I hope this will be the beginning of a lot of helpful information for me. I usually fish at Sandy Point. I use two ten foot casting rods with Penn Spinners. I made my own spikes and riggs. I now have a new cart which included those big gray wheels. Looking forward to a lot of fun learning and sharing.
Shock Leaders

I have always been a fresh water fisherman until the last few years. I really haven’t had an opportunity to learn from others. I have tried to do what I could from magazines books and the internet. I have come along ok but I would like to get some input from some of you veteran lead slingers. I started out using a 50lb shock leader about 8 feet long down to my swivel where I would attach my fish finder. This would be for about 4 oz of lead and some cut bate. All my rigs are of 50lb Mono with a steel leader. I now use just my regular 17lb mono without the shock leader. I retie the swivel every few outing so that my line doesn’t fail from casting. What are you doing and have any of you changed over to all braid.

I have been unable to start a new thread

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
You'll find what your looking for. If you haven't already, check out the bible thread, and the other is to use the search box in the bar at the top of the forum.

Good luck, and enjoy!

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Shock Leaders

I have always been a fresh water fisherman until the last few years. I really haven’t had an opportunity to learn from others. I have tried to do what I could from magazines books and the internet. I have come along ok but I would like to get some input from some of you veteran lead slingers. I started out using a 50lb shock leader about 8 feet long down to my swivel where I would attach my fish finder. This would be for about 4 oz of lead and some cut bate. All my rigs are of 50lb Mono with a steel leader. I now use just my regular 17lb mono without the shock leader. I retie the swivel every few outing so that my line doesn’t fail from casting. What are you doing and have any of you changed over to all braid.

I have been unable to start a new thread
Welcome aboard!

1. Your shock leader is only 8' long? The shock leader should go around your reel spool at least three times, up through the guides, and down to your reel (or little less). This means it should be at least 20' long.

2. Steel leaders - I never use them - especially when tying rigs... You'll catch a lot more fish with doing away with as much terminal tackle as possible.

3. We usually have a big "pre-rockfish season" (catch and release) get together at SPSP just before opening day. Everyone will be there. Good time to meet and greet...

Sandcranb

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.