Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man what a night. Hit Lynnhaven Tuesday night around 6:00pm and soon thereafter the big blues started hitting. My brother and I landed a good 15+ blues that were no smaller than 18 inches. They were hitting shrimp and a couple guys had some hittng their Gotcha Plugs. My brother even had two that must have been 17+ inches on the line at the same time. Unfortunately the line broke. After the big blue run we caught a flounder, trout, croaker, spot, rays, skates, stripers, and baby blues. Quick question to anyone who can help. We had a lot of line breaks. My spider 17# didn't but the Stren 17# broke on a couple big blues and stripers. Our reels only hold up to 17# maybe bigger. We are tired of losing big fish. Thanks :) :) :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I stopped using mono all together..All I have on my reel is Braid lines...lighter and stronger but once tanggled, it's all over.

·
Registered
232 Posts
DML,

You will find many "pros and cons" for both mono and braided fishing lines. I have used both. You mentioned using 17# mono and loosing fish. On one of my reels I use 15# mono with a 30# shock leader. No problemos! However, what works for me may not necessarily be the best option for you. Most guys will have different rigs set up for different size fish, depending on personal preferrences. You will get lots of feedback, and then "choose wisely" :cool:

Macman

·
Registered
830 Posts
Big blues will bite your line. When they get on a feeding frenzy they just go thru the water biting any thing in front of them. That why they call the big ones choppers. Sometimes you will be fighting one fish and another will bite your line off above the lure. Any one who has seen an oldtime blues blitz has seen this happen. One way to help with this probem is to use a steel leader. The problem with that is Stripers are leader shy, but it will cure your problemm with the blues.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Boy do I remember the "blitzes of old", water boiling with 20+ choppers, fish pieces everywhere, the beach covered with fish that swam out of the rather than face the choppers, people afraid to go near the water.
Try 80 pound mono about 1' to 2' long on your lure. Replace the treble hook with a single hook, you don't want to be near a trashing monster with hooks that aren't occupied. The heavy mono gives you something to grab without it slicing into your hand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You CAN'T stop a blue from snapping your line no matter if they are 12" or 32". The best thing to do is bring your line in and throw lures if they are blitzing. If they are not blitzing use metal leaders. Blues are not line shy and you will not lose 1 blue unless you tie a weak knot.

The best way to test if your line can withstand a blue is to take surgical scissors and try and cut the line. If it breaks then a blue can go through it to.

Either way, catching blues is awesom and the only reason they don't get more hype is most people don't like to eat them. They are stronger and faster than any striper!

Good luck and remember those leaders!

W

·
0 Posts
Man, the blues are fun ! And in the water where you were catchin' em', (shallow) they can't sound (go deeper), just go "all over the place" in their quick runs. Sounds like quite a trip.
Now as to the line breaking; There's been some good advice given already here, and then there been advice given. So here's my 2 cents worth = Try the latest in line technology, using Berkley's "Iron Silk" especially formulated to withstand fishteeth.
I tried a free sample sent to me from Pure Fishing, and have since wound it up on 6 reels in varying test strengths. I've only heard one complaint about it, "shoulda' tried it sooner."
Now 17 pound test is adequate for where you're fishing, in fact, for the entire bay area. Don't increase that as it will cut casting performance way down - the heavier you go.
But DO add-on a shock leader of at least double the line strength you have on the reel.
For #17 test, put on a #40 shock leader.
Tie on enough (using a blood knot or triple surgeons knot) to AT LEAST have three rod lengths. This will allow you to have a rod length in the water, another running down the rod, and also several wraps around the reel - all without hindering your casting distance or performance, and by "grabbing it"
with a fish on, you can lift em' and "horse em'" ashore, up on the pier, or into a boat.
Third = Also use some of that iron silk to snell your hooks, so "those hook leaders" will not be bitten off so easily as well.
The problem with steel leader is, you will never again, experience a bite off - using it. But, you will notice, even with bluefish, MANY less bites than with a monofiliment, co polymer, fluorocarbon or the "power braids."
As to the braids......They are stronger than anything imaginable in open water. And highly recommended for many applications. But the damn line not only tangles (terrible ) and easlily, it's also easy to "bite off" when catching toothy critters such as bluefish, spanish mackerel, and king mackerel. Nope...Top choice personally goes to "Iron Silk" also in #17 pound test. And good fishing to ya lad.....It's going to be one hell of a summer, if it stops raining between hurricanes this year.

Tom :D

D

·
0 Posts
"Shock leader."

Heavy mono, wire, etc.

Like they said, they're(blues) not leader shy, but they do have decent eyesight and will bite hi-vis line, actually...they'll bite pretty much anything. I'd up your line weight and op for a clear or water color line. Purchase some heavy duty mono for shock leaders to use if stripers are around, but if it's just blues, tie on wire.

I'm pretty sure you can buy shock leaders ready to tie on. Knots are key...tie it right, even if you have to start over a couple of times, and always use some spit. Albright, blood, and nail knots work well on the line end. Hook end depends on the material. Haywire twist for wire, clinch knot for mono but use less twists with your heavy weight mono. After 6 twists(3 turns) you start to decrease your knot strength with thicker mono. Lefty's no slip mono loop knot if you want more action on the lure.

Don't use Flourocarbon leaders tied to mono line...it will cut right through the mono with a big fish on.

Might be nice to have a few on hand...less bite offs, less lures lost, less fish running around with hook and line trailing behind, less fish you lose, etc. Better for you, better for the bay. (theres a tagline I could sell).

My nickels worth...

D

·
0 Posts
Right on your heels Windhawk. If I'd hit refresh I would not have had to post. Fish on...

D

·
0 Posts
Right on your heels Windhawk. If I'd hit refresh I would not have had to post. Fish on...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Fresh 17lb test can land a large fish if the drag is set right. Try to think if you were getting bit off, line chafed, or too much drag or the drag momentarily sticking. Seems like something was wrong. What weight was your largest blue??

·
Registered
56 Posts
check inside all your line guides for cracks or sharp edges.even the smallest inperfection will cut your line,especially at the rod tip.if you can get your hands on some womens panty hose,run a piece through the guides. if it snags inside any guide replace it immediately or you will continue to have break offs.dont take the chance of loseing a fish of a lifetime over a preventave maintance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can someone in here honestly say they land more than 50% of blues on mono or braided line that is attached directly to the hook?

If so please let me know the numbers you would like me to play in this weeks lotto.

A big chopper or even the small ones will cut you off in a heartbeat. I am not talking break-offs due to what type of line I am talking being bitten off.

Of all the years I have bluefished I have yet to notice a substancial difference bewteen mono and steel. Of course if you were using a 6x tippet I am sure you would get more bites but there are trade offs.

I usually fish with different setups at the same time because I know stripers are line sensative. I have never noticed a difference when talking blues. Matter a fact I have had 3 rods out and have had them all go down at the same time...that's always fun.

I think start with steel until you figure out what you are doing, then if you want to experiment you will have some idea of what you are doing. I know there is nothing more frustrating than having tons of hookups to land a few fish. You can buy the steel with the black coating if you are worried about fish being scared away. Also, the ONLY time I have noticed blues to be finicky is if it is a REAL slow day or lots of bait, but if they are in a frenzy watch your toes!

Don't get me wrong, I throw a lot of lightweight rods with 6 lb mono or fireline because I like to ask myself, "Do you feel lucky....?"

Either way good luck and let us know how you do!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts