Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently took my Diawa 30sha with 20lb Big Game off 12' OM 3-6. Put a Daiwa 20 sha on it with 15lb big game. The 15lb BG has a breaking strength of 24lbs. Am I correct that this is plenty? Should have 275 yards on it easily. I know some go with 17lb Suffix Tri but doesn't seem like much difference. The Daiwa 30sha is going on a 12' OM 6-12 I have. Going to be down sizing all my gear. Selling bout half.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Recently took my Diawa 30sha with 20lb Big Game off 12' OM 3-6. Put a Daiwa 20 sha on it with 15lb big game. The 15lb BG has a breaking strength of 24lbs. Am I correct that this is plenty? Should have 275 yards on it easily. I know some go with 17lb Suffix Tri but doesn't seem like much difference. The Daiwa 30sha is going on a 12' OM 6-12 I have. Going to be down sizing all my gear. Selling bout half.
Line should be good but I'd put the 20 on the OM 6-12 but whatever you're more comfortable with go with that..

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I'd make it simple and put 20lb on both ... with 20 lb on the 20 reel you can put more heat on it and land it faster and do less damage on the drum. long fights kill them

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with the 20lb to get Em in faster. I've hooked some big rays and cranked down the drag to either break the line or get the dead weight battle over with on 15lb. Of course the 15lb didn't break and had to beach the damn things. Hate rays! Well I guess I just answered my own question lol! I'm always second guessing myself and want expert advise. Next time I spool the 20sha I'll put 20lb BG on it though

·
Registered
483 Posts
20 pound test is fine for drum! I just brought a 7 foot shark to the pier [last Friday] on my OM 10 with a Daiwa Sealine 30 sha. P.S. I have a Ocean Master 12 foot heaver for sale for $80. Its in great shape, I just don't like long heavers! I fish at OBX pier if your interested in the rod.
Sharkman

·
Registered
177 Posts
setups r fine, a big consideration should be all da variables when choosing line. knot tying, trash n water, shells/ bottom, weight/ kind you'll be tossing, next to others, conditions, blues, your level of attentiveness/skill. lighter line will catch fish no probs but your window of everything being perfect narrows. heavier line will lessen frustration & allow you to escape many things that will cost you; time rigging, $ on lost gear, catchin, relaxin, etc…..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts