Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm going to tell you how to have so much fun fishing on the pier while sight fishing for stingrays for 25+ hookups per day. What you will need is:

1. Small, lightweight and powerful reel capable of holding 200+ yards of 100lb powerpro topshot and has about 15lbs of drag or more. (Ex: Avet MXL 5.8:1)

2. Jigging rod 50-100lb class (Ex: Shimano Trevala)

3. The biggest treble hooks you can find and lots of them. (Ex: 5/0 Mustad Treble Hooks)

4. 100-200lb leader with crimps to fit line. (Ex: 200lb Ande Mono)

5. A Stong gaffman. (Ex: Brandon:p)

When the ray hovers over your bait set the hook and hang on, just find any pier along the coast with a sufficient supply of stingrays. My favorite pier to fish for these powerful rays is Ocean Crest Pier on Oak Island. I have fished 3 days this year for rays and have landed a 100lb 5oz, 100lb, and the monster 150lb that ate a whole bluefish. I know these helpful tips will help you land the monster ray you've looking for!

If you need any more info just PM me!
Triple T
Thomas the Tank:beer:

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
OK, here we go again! LOL :popcorn:

Pray tell, oh great fishing master, what bait should we use? Novices that we all are, can we eat these? How do we clean them? What rays are protected and what rays are not? If we catch one that is protected, should we still use the gaff? How do we get that ray off the bottom that decides he wants to "suck down" and sit there? Those "jigging rods" are pretty flimsy, despite their rating...are you sure they are stout enough? If they are that stout, why can't we just lift them up onto the planks (with Brandon's help, of course)? Could we use a whole 100 pound ray for bait? If so...could we catch a big whiting, pompano, blue, pin fish, mullet, or something else worth keeping? Curious minds want to know! I'm new at this so I would appreciate any information. Also...do you think I could catch one with my Daiwa 500C? It's loaded with Power Pro!

The next question I have is...what do I do with those dang Cobia? Seems everytime I try to catch a ray, the Cobia tear up my bait!!! I am forever trying to avoid the Cobia so I can catch those rays! How do I do that? I don't want those trash fish Cobia, and would rather have the rays, but don't know what to do! Should I thrash my rod in the water to scare the cobia away, or is there a repellant I can use?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Hmmmm....

Would ray meat make good bait for Spot?

Like could I fish for a 100#+ ray and use him the rest of the season for Spot bait?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am forever trying to avoid the Cobia so I can catch those rays! How do I do that? I don't want those trash fish Cobia, and would rather have the rays, but don't know what to do! Should I thrash my rod in the water to scare the cobia away, or is there a repellant I can use?
lmfao... gotta hate trash fish.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Triple T, See what ya get for trying to be helpful. How does that old Dillon song go....Everbody must get stoned. Must be your turn

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If you aint gonna eat it, or use it for bait to catch something you can eat, why kill it or gaff it?????:mad::mad::mad:

Fine catch them, fight them but cut them loose and use a bronze treble that will rust away in a week or so.

Sorry man, God put all these creatures on earth for a reason and killing them for no reason to me is a crime against God and nature. IMHO:mad::mad::mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts